PDA

View Full Version : permanent rock structures

sharuq1
07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Those of you using permanent rock structures (cemented together, used rods, pvc frame, etc), how do you cope with issues that would normally require you to move a coral? Sps, you can break off of course, but what if you wanted to frag some zoos? What if your gsp was choking something? Since you can't take out the whole thing, how do you deal with that?

sphelps
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
very carefully.

Most of my rock wasn't rigidly attached but over time as your reef builds it becomes more rigid and the last thing you want to try is removing any rock. Basically is something needs to be moved it's broken off the rock and reglued somewhere else underwater. Basically you just gotta get your hand in there and do it, it sucks real bad.

If I could do it again, and I will, I would drill multiple 1/4" holes in the rock at strategic angles and them make special plugs to mount all the corals on so they can be easily moved and placed in various locations. Planing ahead also helps, I would never place something like gsp on a rock structure with other corals, it would have to be isolated.

fishytime
07-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Kelly, the epoxy isnt a permanent bond. Usually you can snap the rock apart at the epoxy.