PDA

View Full Version : bta allelopathy

sharuq1
07-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Is it possible that an anemone that has split will, once split, fight with what was once it's other half using allelopathy or some other method?

Monti-Man
07-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey Kelly

Nope it's all good. Especially since they are the same species.

Why whats going on to make you think that?

Oh and i just sent you a pm:biggrin:

Delphinus
07-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't have thought so. Since they are identical twins, so to speak, they should play nice with each other. I've only seen possible allelopathy among non-clones and only when there were more of one than the other (eg. 3 to 1 sort of thing). Cloning is a way to make up a colony, so I would not really suspect a problem between two clones.

a4twenty
07-07-2008, 07:06 PM
i agree, they are the same species and are unaffected by the others nematocysts as they are to their own. they are essentially a duplicate of each other and get along just fine, two or three of mine stay in very close proximity to each other with no fighting.

sharuq1
07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Good to know, just wanted to be able to rule it out for sure. I just had noticed one of my anemones looked off today and I suspected allelopathy but wanted to make sure the sister nem (which is only a couple inches from this one) was not the cause. I did a WC, normal Ca/alk dosing, added a capful of Kent's iodine and I added a new bag of carbon.

Fairly shortly thereafter the nem is already looking better. The sister nem has looked perfectly fine the whole time. I suspect it may have been stung last night by a frogspawn. Either that or it is mad at me for not properly defrosting the shrimp I gave each of them yesterday and one is more picky than the other.

a4twenty
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
could have also just been expelling waste from last nights dinner, glad she's looking better.

Ian
07-08-2008, 03:46 AM
SInce your dealing with clones any chemical that would be toxic to one would also be toxic to the other so this could not be an issue

sharuq1
07-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Guess that points it even more to the frogspawn. Although it is possible some critter could have damaged it...probably not terribly likely (no anemone eaters in my tank that I know of, no peppermint shrimps, etc.)