PDA

View Full Version : help uprading from 33 to 50 gallons

1bigstud
03-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Hello everyone I was thinking about upgrading my current setup which is a 33 gallon to a 50 gallon. I plan on using my 33 gallon as the sump for the fifty. I do however have a few questions and would love all the advice I can get :smile:
1. I was planning to make 25 gallons of new water for the fifty then over a week or so adding 25 gallons from my 33 will this work or will it destroy my cycle??
2. I have two 45 watt actinic bulbs and two 55 flourescent bulbs and plan on keeping soft corals and anenomes is this enough light??? ( i will be getting a custom hood lined with reflective material made.
3. will 90 pounds of live rock be enough for both the sump(33) and reef(50)
4. How much sand will I need???
As well I am looking for the following items a
return pump
live sand
power heads.

Once again any suggestions, advice SUGGESTIVE critiscism is greatly appreciated.

Jedi68
03-26-2003, 02:33 PM
You got email...
I can help you with live sand and powerheads.

Troy F
03-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Let's just call you "One". Your lighting is fine for many soft corals but depending on the type of anemones you'd like to keep, your lighting won't be enough (ignore this comment if you're talking about mushrooms). I think you have plenty of rock for both tanks.

As for a return pump, I'd go with an external and bigger than you think you need. You can split the return a couple of times thus cutting down or elimanating the need for power heads.

Quinn
03-26-2003, 05:19 PM
if you're going bigger, why not go significantly bigger, like a 75 gal up top or something? if you're going to do the work, you may as well...

Aquattro
03-26-2003, 06:59 PM
if you're going bigger, why not go significantly bigger, like a 75 gal up top or something? if you're going to do the work, you may as well...

A 75 requires more lights, more rock, more salt, more electricity, more more more.
I think going to a 50 is a nice step while keeping the equipment you have.
You can also stock the 50 for less than the 75. This way you can have a really nice reef without going broke. Bigger is not always better!!

AJ_77
03-26-2003, 08:13 PM
I think going to a 50 is a nice step while keeping the equipment you have. You can also stock the 50 for less than the 75. This way you can have a really nice reef without going broke. Bigger is not always better!!
I'm with Brad on this one. I went from a 33 to a 50 and it was pretty straighforward. Needed some more sand and rock, but used everything else including lights. The dimensions are way better than the 33, and just a little more cost and work to maintain.

I find a 50 to be an ideal size. (Talk to me again in a year.) :wink:

Canadian Man
03-26-2003, 08:15 PM

A 75 requires more lights, more rock, more salt, more electricity, more more more.
I think going to a 50 is a nice step while keeping the equipment you have.
You can also stock the 50 for less than the 75. This way you can have a really nice reef without going broke. Bigger is not always better!!

Good point Brad!

1bigstud
03-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Guys thanks alot for all the advice and responses :biggrin:
This site rocks I find everyone on here to be so friendly and helpful/
I think I will make the jump from 33 to fifty.

I'll keep you all posted