PDA

View Full Version : glass? ugh...we're morons pls help, lol

sharuq1
07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok so like morons we gave the glass company measurements that are an inch out. The glass co. really hated cutting the glass for us for our calfo (said the project was just "too wierd" ) and I seriously doubt they will help us remedy this new problem.

Is there any way to cut an inch off glass? Is there such a thing a s a glass grinder or something we could use? We are using 6mm and 10mm glass.

Or alternatively does anyone know a place that would do that for us without having an attitude about it?

i have crabs
07-06-2008, 11:05 PM
when getting glass cut at bowvalley he said 1" is about the shortest you can cut it properly and your glass isnt too thick so im shure it can be done without too much problem

Delphinus
07-06-2008, 11:54 PM
If you look at what some tank builders are doing for external overflows, they are grinding out 1" for the slot. And the groove is tapered, so they are using some kind of grinder or cutter. So there is some way to cut off 1", it just might not be the score-and-tap-and-bend method.

Maybe try a different glass place? Complaining that the project is "too weird" sure takes the cake. What do they care as long as they get paid? Sheeesh.

fishoholic
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
You could ask Crystal Glass in Edmonton if they could cut it for you.

sharuq1
07-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Well...we got brave after the post Tony made about grinding glass and decided to try cutting it with the tile saw. It worked!!! Yaaay!

Delphinus
07-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Far out! Awesome. Did you have to go really slowly? How hard was it?

fencer
07-08-2008, 07:15 AM
That is insane....a diamond saw would have done it...good for you...got lots of of guts

urbanhellfire
07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
If you look at what some tank builders are doing for external overflows, they are grinding out 1" for the slot. And the groove is tapered, so they are using some kind of grinder or cutter. So there is some way to cut off 1", it just might not be the score-and-tap-and-bend method.

Maybe try a different glass place? Complaining that the project is "too weird" sure takes the cake. What do they care as long as they get paid? Sheeesh.

+1

What do they care? You tell them the sizes you pay them and they cut it?
I dont think I would go back to that place.

But good news on the cutting!

sharuq1
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Yup, we will certainly not be customers there again! :lol:

We went very slow on the tile saw. Had a few OMG moments when we saw little pieces break off, but no disaster. *phew!* If anyone else tries this make sure there is water in the saw, that the water spray points away from your eyes and expect alot of glass shards everywhere. It wasn't so much guts I think as "for crying out loud we waited so long to get this glass and now we have to stop AGAIN?". Just figured screw it, if we muck it up we would have just done something different.

Does anyone know what the people use for grinding out overflows? I'd like to know just in case we ever want or need to do it.