PDA

View Full Version : Loud Skimmer

Chowder
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey my Skimmers air intake is quite loud. I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas on making it quieter. Here is a shot of how it is set up now. The air line is set into the collection cup to draw air and the other side is connected to the pump.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_2641.jpg

I was going to try and take the line out from the collection cup and just extend the line so it's 10x or more longer to cut down on the noise. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Jason McK
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes that is what I would do.

Is is quieter when the tube is disconnected from the cup?

J

Tom R
07-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I have never seen one that connects to the waste collection container. My ASM has 2 air lines 1 from each pump and they just come up to a holder connected to the collection cup. Be careful not to restrict the air flow as these skimmers require a lot of air flow. I believe i have many of the new BK and H&S where the air tube connects to a plastic container the size of a pill box and i assume that this may act as an air filter and muffler without restricting the air flow.

Tom R

Chowder
07-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I have sound depresser on my coralife skimmer 125 . Maybe I should try and take it apart and see what is inside. Jason I took the line out and it is way louder.
Chris

Matt
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
A film cannister works pretty well. Just drill a hole in the bottom and fill it up with cotton floss (or poly floss if you've got some). Leave the top open, and change the floss from time to time to get rid of the damp and salty stuff.

Chowder
07-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Well heres what I did. Used a tylenol canister drilled two holes in the lid. Put the two fitting in filled it with filter floss. It is quieter but not as quiet as I would like. So I will play with it a little more.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_2642.jpg

Thanks Chris

mark
07-07-2008, 03:39 AM
Has it always been loud?

Found with mine the bubbles slow every few months (assuming salt creep) so I'll let it suck some fresh water through the airline hose to clear. Wondering if similar causing yours to be noisy?

Chowder
07-07-2008, 03:55 AM
No its a new skimmer and I just started running it yesturday.