PDA

View Full Version : New Zoas rock....Help Please!

tikkle
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi, I just got a piece of zoas rock. When I place it in the bucket, I noticed there are a nudi and a few possibly flatworms at the botom of the bucket. Can I just do a fresh water dip or should I go get some medication for it??

Thanks!

Keri
07-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Do you have any tropic marin pro coral cure? That will kill the FWs and nudi. I wouldn't put it into my tank without doing that at least, even then I'd still put it in QT after that (having dealt with FW myself before!) I'm sorry I can't answer whether a freshwater dip would help or not tho.

tikkle
07-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Going to get one tomorrow. Thanks!

Drock169
07-01-2008, 03:57 PM
i wouldnt be so concerned at flatworms, more the nudis if you can QT it, because the TMPCC doesnt kill eggs if i remember correctly

Rippin
07-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Freshwater dip for about 2-3 minutes will do the trick. Don't leave the coral in the FW much longer or you will risk over-stressing/killing it. At a minimum, make sure the FW is the same temperature as your SW.
Remember to give the coral a good shake just before you pull it out of the FW. Oh, and as you are probably aware, the FW dip will kill all inverts that happen to be living on the rock, bad and good.

If you see any eggs on the zoanthids, make sure you remove them manually with tweezers.

Depending on how resilient the zoanthid is it may take one day to a week for them to open up again.

Good luck.

tikkle
07-02-2008, 02:40 AM
I dipped it with TMPCC today.There were a lot of stuffs fall of from the rock. Not sure they are good or bad but at least they are not on the rock anymore. And the rock looks clean. Will do a FW dip tomorrow.

When can I put it in my tank after the FW dip?

Thank you all for your help!