PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Sea Apple feeding

ranz
03-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Just posted some pictures on my website....

Sea Apple (aka Sponge Bob) and Our Clam ( aka Spam the Clam)

http://members.shaw.ca/ranz/fish-friends.htm

Skimmerking
03-25-2003, 02:32 PM
cool pictures of the apple

Delphinus
03-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Cool pictures. A little off-topic, but can I ask how the two tangs are getting along? Was there ever any issues when they were first put together? (Are there any issues now?) They look good.

I know your tank is quite large and maybe that's the trick.

I happen to have both a YT and a RS sailfin but in different tanks. The yellow is out in the open all the time, swimming around, not afraid of people watching the tank. Whereas the sailfin is the IncredibleInvisibleFish(tm). He has a den in which he sits as long as he things I'm watching the tank. He'll come out for food, and also when he thinks nobody is in the room. But make the mistake of blinking, and zip! He's gone. I'm wondering if one day if I can set up a ReallyLargeTank(tm) if I'll be able to house them together. I think the issue for his shyness is that there's a lot going on in his tank (current, SPS, etc.) whereas the yellow is in a tank with a lot less stuff on the rocks (maybe equating to "more swimming room").

Beverly
03-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Just posted some pictures on my website....
Sea Apple (aka Sponge Bob) and Our Clam ( aka Spam the Clam)

Don't know if it's true, but I've heard/read that a dead sea apple will give off serious toxins - and not just the usual ammonia and nitrite. We had a really beautiful but strange looking brilliant orange 1.5' long 1" diameter exotic worm. Even the lfs didn't quite know what it was, but it was cool looking and like dummies we brought it home. Anyway, after a couple of months, it died without us really noticing and it wiped out half the fish in our 180 :-( Even a 50 gallon water change didn't help the dying fish. But when we added carbon in the two 802 prefilters, no more fish died than those already very sick from the dead worm :-(

Again, not sure if it's true, but if it was in my tank, I'd keep a close eye on it. Heck, based on our experience with the worm, I wouldn't keep a sea apple for fear of the same thing happening all over again. Hope yours lives a long and healthy life, though :-)

BCOrchidGuy
03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
My understanding is that Sea Apples and fish don't go together, the sea apple eggs are called poison candy. Any truth to this? My LFS has a couple sea apples and I think they look cool but I like the idea of fish in my tank too...... like yours...

Quinn
03-27-2003, 08:08 PM
i think it was on wet web media where i read that the danger of sea apples is overplayed. they said that zoos and stuff like that are just as risky, if not more so. i don't remember the exact information given but it was pretty positive, provided you did your research... :question:

ranz
03-27-2003, 09:11 PM
i think it was on wet web media where i read that the danger of sea apples is overplayed. they said that zoos and stuff like that are just as risky, if not more so. i don't remember the exact information given but it was pretty positive, provided you did your research... :question:

Yes the Apple usually needs an abusive traumatic assault or be very sick to discharge toxins, if the apple is sick then it looks sick (take it out).
Anyways Sponge Bob (Sea Apple) likes his house, and promised me he would behave.

Ranzreef

BCOrchidGuy
03-27-2003, 10:58 PM
ranz again wow what a cool set up you have, hey thats a cool tattoo on your noggin too... (lol)

Two questions I've probably already asked but what do you use for light on your tank, and.... What about the sea apple eggs...toxic? not.. or do the fish not bother with them....

steve-s
03-28-2003, 01:27 AM
truncated: What about the sea apple eggs...toxic? not.. or do the fish not bother with them....

Been there done that. I had a sea apple for two years up until Nov'01, pray you have a male. The semen they release will cause some water difficulties but will not cause any deaths.

The female however will kill every fish in the tank. I had one that did spawn and lost all my fish and caulerpa. They do not kill everything though. Corals, crabs, shrimp, pods, eel, worm and snails all survived. I ended up doing many water changes and cleaned every piece of equipment repeatedly to make sure the eggs where eliminated. I also left the tank fishless for a few months.

They are like any other cucumber when they die, they can poison the tank. The larger the system the more reaction time you will have. I will say however, that a well maintained tank should have no concern of them passing. I ended up returning mine to the LFS, I was too concerned of a repeat.

Cheers
Steve

ranz
03-28-2003, 01:27 AM
ranz again wow what a cool set up you have, hey thats a cool tattoo on your noggin too... (lol)

Two questions I've probably already asked but what do you use for light on your tank, and.... What about the sea apple eggs...toxic? not.. or do the fish not bother with them....

1ST Question (Lighting)

Two 4 foot atinic neon
Two 4 foot high spectrum neon
One 3 foot neon
One 3 foot atinic neon
One 250 watt metal halide (high quality bulb)

I need another metal halide....

2nd Question

I did'nt put a girl in with Sponge Bob (Sea Apple)
actually havnt seen any eggs...

Ranzreef

EmilyB
03-28-2003, 01:31 AM
hmmmmmm.......so how do you know Sponge Bob is a boy then... :confused:

steve-s
03-28-2003, 01:37 AM
Ya don't..... :eek: :question: :eek: :question:

Cheers...Steve

ranz
03-28-2003, 01:42 AM
hmmmmmm.......so how do you know Sponge Bob is a boy then... :confused:

he told me........ :lol:

I also would have named Sponge Bob, Sponge Brenda.....

Beverly
03-28-2003, 01:47 AM
he told me........ :lol:

LOL!! I talk to the fish in our new 42 hex to encourage the shy skunk clowns to come out from behind the rock. I talk and talk and talk. Funny, though, they haven't ever said anything back to me ;-)

BCOrchidGuy
03-28-2003, 02:11 AM
I thought that feeding thingy was the tail I would have just looked under it.

Diomedes
03-28-2003, 05:46 AM
Sea Apples are a type of Sea Cucumber, and keeping one is like forcing your fish to play russian rulette. When stressed a sea apple can eject some contents of its internal organ mass (evisceration) and destroy your fish. That said, Ranz' sea apple looks AWESOME and is obviously in top notch health...as long as he doesn't add a trigger (or I add one secretly next time I'm over there)...well its still dangerous. Ranz if you wanna give it away I know who would want one...

Stephen