PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit Question

Der_Iron_Chef
06-27-2008, 05:29 AM
So, I'm almost 2 weeks into Zeo on my new tank. I think I overdosed the first week, and have kind of a serious film algae situation (don't worry--because I know you probably were--I'm vigilant against it).

However, There's also some other filamentous algae in my overflow, in particular. I haven't been very vigilant to clean it out.

Has anyone experienced this sort of bloom with Zeo, and is it always a matter of overdosing? And if so, overdosing what, in particular?

Mik_101
06-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Hey Drew I am allso fairly new to zeo about 4-5 weeks. In the zeo manual it says to sto dosing for a bit until the film algea disapears. A few of them of the top of mind are zeo bac zeo food 7 and i think coral vitilizer (not to sure about coral vit.). But anyways stop for a bit wait till the algea disapears and then dose the recomended amount of the aditives you are cuurently using.

sphelps
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
what are you dosing and how much?

Jason McK
06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes Please tell us what and how much

Thanks
J

Der_Iron_Chef
06-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I started the first week with 0.6(ish)L zeolites and 1 cup of carbon. Every day, I dosed 3 drops Zeobac, 3 drops Zeofood7 and 0.6ml Zeostart2.

I have since cut this back to twice a week at 2 drops Zeobac, 2 drops Zeofood7 and 0.4ml Zeostart2.

sphelps
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
you're dosing a little on the heavy side. First off, for people starting Zeovit on an established tank for the first time you would be using 1L of media per 150 gallons of net volume. Your net volume for your setup is likely just below 50 gallons so you should be using one third of the bag for media.

I would dose 2 drops of zeobac and zeofood daily and no more than 0.5ml of the zeostart2. And remember the dosing cuts back after the first 2 weeks to weekly rather than daily.

This system is new to you, you're likely going to see some changes in the tank for the next little while, some good some bad. Just keep up with it and things should settle down. Also try and spread out the 0.5ml of zeostart2 over a few dosings a day rather than one. The zeostart is the major contributor for film and slime algae.

Zeovit is a tricky thing, from my experience it takes a trained eye to determine exactly what your tank needs on a daily bases. The guide should be used as a guide and only as a guide. You have to determine the dosing schedule that works best for you.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Excellent. Thanks! I do have a sump as well, so I put my net volume around 65G. But still, I'm probably using too much of the zeolites.

WhoPoopWrasse
06-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm on zeo also, you need to get coral snow, works pretty good!
Have you tried reading up on the zeo forum?

Der_Iron_Chef
06-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I actually have been on the Zeo forum. It's a great resource! I just thought I might get more responses here, strangely. It seems hit & miss there sometimes.

sphelps
06-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Excellent. Thanks! I do have a sump as well, so I put my net volume around 65G. But still, I'm probably using too much of the zeolites.

your net volume is 80% of the actual volume. So your gross is 65 gal and the net volume is 52 gal.