PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Router Bits

Chad
06-27-2008, 05:29 AM
What is everyone using for routing your edges when you DIY stuff? Where are you getting it to..

I bought a freud 3 fluted straight trimmer, it does an "ok" job, but it is not smooth enough to use Weldon #4.

Thanks..
Chad

hillbillyreefer
06-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Pretty hard to find better quality than Freud router bits. Practice your technique on some scrap and see if you can't get a better edge. Maybe try a panel cutting saw blade in a tablesaw or a circular saw, they leave pretty good edges, too.

brizzo
06-27-2008, 06:17 AM
What kind of router are you using? Are you preparing the edges using a router table? You can wet sand edges with 320 grit with a block for nice results before welding, some people even polish the edges

I have been using a triple flute freud bit also, and found it does a better job only on small outside trimming, not long cuts. Long cuts I've found a single flute does better. I recently got a new dewalt dw616 router and it made a world of difference in how nice trimming turns out.

sphelps
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I use a jointer for gluing surfaces, however a router should work fine with any carbide bit. Perhaps you're removing too much material? I usually only remove 1/32 or 1/16 at the most. Also feed rate and router speed is fairly important.

Chad
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Well it is a craftsman router, it does not have variable speed. I am only removing 1/16 at a time.. I am using a router table and that Freud 3 flut flush bit. It leave the following edge.

sphelps
06-27-2008, 05:23 PM
looks to me like the feed rate is too high. It's hard to see from the picture but does the edge seem to show an internal bubble like texture?

I would try removing 1/32, increase the router speed and experiment with different feed rates. You'll get it, it just takes time to figure out what works best.

Chad
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
The best way for me to describe it is more of like a "wave" action. I don't see bubbles. I have no way to increase the router speed.. maybe I should get a new router?

sphelps
06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
The best way for me to describe it is more of like a "wave" action. I don't see bubbles. I have no way to increase the router speed.. maybe I should get a new router?

First try removing less material and a slower feed rate.

Chad
06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I will give it a try, I know if I go to slow it starts to melt it. I wish you could automate the feed rate :-)

Chad
06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I went out and bought a spiral up-cut bit from Freud. It seems to do a much better job.. very smooth.. I am going really slow as well...

kari
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Megadream is into routers and wants to help out?:lol:

The best solid carbid bit I have found was the Onsrud upcut spiral. Since you are using a table, a bit with a flush trim bearing is useful for template cutting.

dareefguy
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I can see how this just turned sexual. lol

brizzo
06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Good to know the upcut spiral bits do the trick. I had been considering giving the up/down cut bits a try.

Chad
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
yeah, the freud up-spiral cut bit is fantastic.. love it to "bits" :-)

I am not having fun trying to do 90 degree cuts..... the piece wants to slide on me and it is never perfect. Anyone have any tips on that?

brizzo
07-03-2008, 10:56 PM
90 degree cuts? Like trimmer after welding two pieces at a 90 ??

My advice if anything is slipping, is buy a bunch of clamps! I use the cheap import type bar clamps for my projects. Otherwise hire a friend with good grip! :)

Also for the record I use a Freud 10" x 80 tooth acrylic and plastics blade for straight cuts on a table saw. It is amazing how clean it will cut

christyf5
07-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Sorry guys, must have missed that one the other morning. You can always click on the reported post icon, its the little red triangle to the upper right corner of the post box. That way I can get to it right away :biggrin:

Chad
07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
well, my router table has a very crappy miter guide.. So I cannot make 100% 90 degree cuts.. I tried to make a coping sled, but it suffers from the same sloppiness in the miter slot. Was wondering if someone had a good jig for 90 degree angles.

Ok, I have one problem, one seam has a large bubble.. It was not there when I left it last night but it developed over night I guess. I have read that I can drill a small hole and squeeze in weldon 16. Has anyone tried that? Or should I just install a gusset? Also, anyone know where to get weldon 40?

kari
07-05-2008, 01:27 AM
well, my router table has a very crappy miter guide.. So I cannot make 100% 90 degree cuts.. I tried to make a coping sled, but it suffers from the same sloppiness in the miter slot. Was wondering if someone had a good jig for 90 degree angles.

DIY router table? So is mine. Maybe take a look at T-tracks from Busy-Bee and build your own or install a store bought fence/miter slide. Also start your cutting work using stock with a 90deg angle present. By the way, I aswell would use a table saw for cutting stock and the router for other stuff like template work, triming, hole cutting and shaping.

brizzo
07-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Weldon 16 is a thick glue and would work for filling gaps

What did you use to glue the joint? I sand it lightly if required, clean it with isopropyl alcohol then use straight methylene chloride to weld joints

Chad
07-06-2008, 03:06 AM
I used weldon #4. I have some pretty nice seams for my first time. Out of the four sides of the sump I have together, 3 have only a few tiny, it bitty bubbles and most of it is crystal clear perfect seam. However, my last seam of the day, developed a bubble that looks like it goes all the way through. It is on the top portion of the sump, so maybe not critical but would like it fixed.

The router table is not DIY. But its miter slot is not standard. So I cannot use some of the regular miter stuff that is available. I have thought about making a new miter slot and putting in a standard T track, but it is getting a bit expensive for something I was DIY'ing *the sump* to save money on. At this point it would have been less to get it made by someone else :D

kari
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about a bubble on the top seam. If it was on the bottom 16 or 40 works to fix it. With 40 it is possible to place a thick bead over the joint similar to silicon with a chalking gun.