PDA

View Full Version : humidex

robzilla
06-26-2008, 04:18 PM
anyone have one of these set up in their homes? i'd like to here your thoughts.

http://www.humidex.ca/index.htm

fencer
06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Are you planning to use it for work. As humidex readings are used in the refinery to warn workers to slow down or take preventative measures to cool themselves. These guidelines are set by the government. Rarely have I seen Humidex reading to dictate stopping work because of the humidex. If for home...you gain just as much info using a relative humidity scale

Veng68
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
search this site for humidex..... there are some people who are using it.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

mark
06-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Just from looking at the link, doesn't appear they are a de-humidifier nor a HRV unit, just a exhaust fan with a humidity control.

What are they?

Keri
06-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm curious too, we have a Lot of water in our house and I was looking in to the Humidex website. Anyone have any idea on prices for these units?

robzilla
06-26-2008, 07:06 PM
i heard shell bussey talking about these units. the unit runs an exhaust fan to remove humidity in the home and uses an humidity sensor to know when to start/stop. these units are suppose to remove the condensation around windows in the winter etc....

TRS
06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I have a Humidex unit and it has worked well for over two years running. It kept the windows from having ice buildup in the winter and no black mold issues. It also runs a heck of a lot cheaper than a dehumidifier. Some words of caution though.... Try to purchase it from your local Home Hardware store rather than directly from Humidex. I saved over $100. Since the installation, I have added several tank systems. Humidity is kept down to ~40%, but the bigger issue is heat buildup. I am looking into an HRV Unit or Central Air Conditioning for my grow op.

Keri
06-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah, we're getting black mildew in the wondow frames and sweaty windows, especially in the winter when the windows are shut tight (even though I keep the house quite warm)

You can buy it through home hardware? Good to know! Is it something you can install yourself? (not me - but Drew's handy :) )

edit: $349 for the 1300-1500 sq foot model. I don't see any bigger ones but I suppose you could put two in?

bullit67
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
A quick tip I was doing some pre winter house maintenance and I noticed my fresh air intake for the furnace was completely plugged with dirt and junk I cleaned it up and HOLY my humdity has dropped from 67% down to 50-47% it has taken about a week to get this low I did notice a drop after a few hours of cleaning the intake. So to sum it all up check your fresh air intakes it could save you alot of time wiping down windows

spreerider
10-14-2008, 04:28 AM
i just installed a regular bathroom fan and vented it outside, nwo if i notice the humidity is up i turn the fan on, it would be easy to wire it into a humidty switch, a few manufacturers make them for bathroom use so they turn the fan on automatically when you have a shower, they usually have a dial between 10-100% so you can set it where you want it to be.

Skimmerking
10-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Im getting one my Friend down the street rom me has over 1200 gal of water in fish tanks. His house was sitting at 80-85% humidity in his home, after installing it he ran the unit for 2 days and brought the air down to a wopping 30 %. BEWARE when using it thou you dont want to bring the air down to fast. what ever your house is sitting at with humid air says its 70 % only take it down 10% at a time.

My friend has problems of the walls cracking from the humid air and suckign it out over a course of a 2 day period. but they do work thou...