PDA

View Full Version : Question, re: SPS Polyp Extension

Der_Iron_Chef
06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm noticing on the SPS in my system that PE is crazy at night. Big fuzzy love all over the place. But during the day, it's definitely much much less.

Any ideas? Ph? I haven't tested it super recently, but I will tonight.

Oh. I should also mention that I notice the different within an hour after lights out....so I suppose not enough time for the Ph to swing dramatically? I dunno.

Delphinus
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I've generally noticed more PE on SPS at night (when I've had SPS that is), although it would vary, over time it would change to all the time and then switch around I guess.

One thought, when are you pumping your zeovit reactor? Maybe there's more "mulm" in the water column at night.

sphelps
06-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Polyp extension will always be higher at night for almost all corals including SPS.

Whatigot
06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
dont most corals eat their non photo synthetic food at night?

Der_Iron_Chef
06-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Interesting. So why do some people get crazy polyp extension during the day? What's the secret?! Providing food during the day?

Tony, I had considered your theory, because I do agitate the zeolites at night, usually right before, or right after lights out. I'm going to test that theory out some more!

Thanks for the input, all.

Aquattro
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Drew, I get great extension during the day, always have, not sure why. However, at night, I see a lot more, especially with the axial polps (tips). Night time feeding is the reason for the evening activities, but daytime seems to be dependant on some (to me) unknown factor. The night time stuff won't be a result of zeo activity, corals have been doing this way longer than zeo's been around.

Snappy
06-25-2008, 01:32 AM
SPS almost always get more PE at night but if you are getting very little in the day you may have something that is pecking or disturbing them in the day. An observation is in the wild there are less polyp nipping pests at night so the corals protrude more PE then when it's safe to do so which is at night.

Whatigot
06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
dont most corals eat their non photo synthetic food at night?

Interesting. So why do some people get crazy polyp extension during the day? What's the secret?! Providing food during the day?

Tony, I had considered your theory, because I do agitate the zeolites at night, usually right before, or right after lights out. I'm going to test that theory out some more!

Thanks for the input, all.

I wondered the same, but lately I have been watching a lot of blue planet, planet earth and undersea explorer (gifts from a friend) and every one of them mentions repeatedly that corals do most of their eating at night.
I wondered why my polyp extension is almost always so much better in the day too if this was in fact the case.

Delphinus
06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Brad, the reason I asked about the reactor is just because it will only help encourage the feeders to come out even more. I know corals already do most of their feeding at night but generally speaking if there's something for them to eat, they'll eat, and there's just more of it at night therefore there's more. I remember when Canadian_Man had his 230g running he would dump rotifers into the tank during the day and boy did those fuzzy sticks become even fuzzier. It's like Field of Dreams - if you build it they will come - "if you feed them they will eat." (To a degree anyhow.)

But yeah for the most part it's pretty common that PE is greater at night. Doesn't mean that PE can't happen during the day though, it depends on probably a number of different things.

christyf5
06-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I found that PE increased when I added a couple of tunze 6060s to my tank (previously using MJ1200s and/or Hagen 802s). PE increased even more (I hadn't known it could) when I added a wavebox :biggrin:

I do have a couple corals that have hardly any PE during the day but they're incredible looking at night. I usually try to feed reef roids or something like that a couple hours after the lights go out, or a couple hours before they come on in the morning.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I found that PE increased when I added a couple of tunze 6060s to my tank (previously using MJ1200s and/or Hagen 802s). PE increased even more (I hadn't known it could) when I added a wavebox :biggrin:

I do have a couple corals that have hardly any PE during the day but they're incredible looking at night. I usually try to feed reef roids or something like that a couple hours after the lights go out, or a couple hours before they come on in the morning.

Interesting. I do have reef roids...maybe I'll give it a go during the day and see what happens. :)

Reefer Rob
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Is there a reason why you want polyp extension during the day? The coral is just trying to do what though evolution has worked best for it; feed at night when there is the most abundant food, and the least predators. From what I understand, any PE during the day normally has to do with optimizing the available light. Forcing PE during the day may be detrimental to the coral.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't necessarily NEED PE during the day! I just have always heard people say, "Oh yeah, my SPS is so healthy....great polyp extension! Like fuzzy sticks! Yada yada yada...."

So when I wasn't getting that, per se, I wondered if I was doing something wrong.