PDA

View Full Version : Korallen-Zucht Kaliumtest

Der_Iron_Chef
06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Hello all. I purchased the KZ Kaliumtest and it came without instructions or a color test strip. AWESOME!

I'm just wondering if anyone has an extra set of instructions and color strip? I'm really trying to get this Zeo thing right, but can't really test for K+ without these things.

digital-audiophile
06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Did you buy it locally? I would return it.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Did you buy it locally? I would return it.

I bought it unused, but second-hand.

Jason McK
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I see Aged Salt answered you question on Zeovit.

What he answered is exactly what mine says.
Not that it helps reading the test is very difficult LOL

J

Delphinus
06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Heh, I was just gonna say, it doesn't really matter if you follow the instructions or not. Just randomly add reagents, wave your hands above the test vial, and then emphatically state some random number that comes into your head. (It's important that you say it emphatically. If you show any hesitation, you have to repeat the test.)

Der_Iron_Chef
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Heh :)

So do you guys test regularly for K+? They seem to place a lot of emphasis on it on the Zeovit forum.

Delphinus
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
I tested the heck out of it for about 2 weeks, then gave up because in the end because I felt I was just guessing too much at the final value. (ie. "Yeah, I guess I can't see the colour strip anymore.") I figure if I can maybe get with someone else and we both try reading the same samples and we both get similar guesses then maybe I'd start up again. Basically I need a reference of some kind, either a known sample or at least an external confirmation that my results are close.

If this were a perfect world, I'd aim to test the value on a weekly (or thereabouts) basis. I don't like it when I get my tests too far apart in time (doesn't mean I'm very good at it) but my goal is to have a baseline done about once per week.

kwirky
06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
step 1: pack everything up into the box
step 2: throw in garbage lol (don't tell dennis I said this!)

lol I'm a little biased on this one but I think the potassium testkits are VERY hard to use to the point where I just don't test it. I know the big bottle is distilled water but does anyone know what the little dropper bottle contains? If so one could do a proper precipitate test with a little chemistry math and a lab quality scale.

I remember back in chemistry with this type of test you're supposed to be working with large enough volumes that you can filter out and weigh the precipitate (we used coffee filters on our high school lab scales).

Guessing the approximate value through a colour chart is technically the wrong way to measure this kind of precipitate I think. Unfortunately lab style testing is out of reach of us hobbyists...