PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers and Filters

bignose
06-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi,

This might sound like a dumb questions. But It's ok cause I'm a newbie!!
I'm in the midst of starting a new tank and need to know:
Do I need to have both skimmer and filter on a reef tank?

I'm going to buy some of the equipment today. I need to know if I need to buy a filter.

Thanks.

michika
06-22-2008, 03:12 PM
A skimmer is your filter of sorts. You'll probably just need a skimmer. Have you researched your options for skimmers?

bignose
06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes I'm giong to buy either a seaclone 100 skimmer or a Red sea prism.
This is going on a 55G tank.

michika
06-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Can I ask you a few questions about your setup? Since obviously this set up is for something different then the 10g nano in your signature line. You can do better then either of those skimmers, particularly on a 55g.

What are you planning on keeping in this 55g tank? Do you know what the total water volume would be? How heavily stocked will you be keeping your tank. Do you require an in-sump model, or anything specific to run it?

bignose
06-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I cant afford to go all out with this so there will be no sump.
I am however buying a 150w mh with 2-65w cf.
It will be a reef tank and I plan on stocking with all sorts of coral.
As for the fish Im not sure what there will be. Probably the max allowed for the volume of water. Since its a 55G my guess is probably 50G(not really sure).

I could buy both of the skimmers I guess. they are really cheap and I could upgrade.

Does this help, what would you reccommend.

michika
06-22-2008, 03:47 PM
So you need a hang on model.

Try putting up a WTB (want to buy) post in the buy/sell forum and see what people have out there. I hear the Tunze hang on is quite good, but I don't know the price point on it. I don't know if I would go with both skimmers, but if its all you can do for now then go for it.

Do you have any photos of your set-up?

bignose
06-22-2008, 03:55 PM
No I don't have any pics.
Today is when I start buying the equipment to start the tank.
I'm going to buy the substrate, power heads, and the skimmers(what were talking about).

I am converting a 55 gallon FW tank that houses my puffer.
I'm also buying a 90 tank and stand today to move the puffer into.

It's kinda winging it as I go.
Unfortunately it comes down to education and experience.
Which I'm still tackling. Got to start somewhere!

Aquattro
06-22-2008, 04:23 PM
First piece of advice, do not buy the seaclone. It will not perform on a 55g tank. You're better off waiting and getting a better skimmer. The Red Sea is a bit better, but since this will be your primary nutrient remover, buy the best you can. Until then, you'd be better off doing water changes over the seaclone.

JDigital
06-22-2008, 06:11 PM
After my experience so far, I would recommend any tank outside the "nano" size, should be ran with a sump...

But, if you must go without one, the AquaC Remora HOB Skimmer came up alot in my research for a skimmer. Most will say they perform better than the 2 you have listed so far.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-22-2008, 06:19 PM
This guy's selling a Remora for $100, which will hands down outperform the other skimmers you listed!

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=331353#post331353

I suggest you send him a message ASAP :)

BTW...welcome and keep asking those good questions. We were all "newbies" at one point.

Drock169
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I would just save up and get a deltec skimmer.

ponokareefer
06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
This guy's selling a Remora for $100, which will hands down outperform the other skimmers you listed!

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=331353#post331353

I suggest you send him a message ASAP :)

BTW...welcome and keep asking those good questions. We were all "newbies" at one point.

I'd second this suggestion. I had a remora, and it performed very well on a 33 gallon, and was a very simple skimmer that was easy to adjust and clean. I think they are rated up to a 75 gallon, so you should be fine.

Chin_Lee
06-22-2008, 08:42 PM
if your budget is tight, you can go barebottom first. when you have more money and you don't like the BB look, then add the substrate. not too hard to do after the fact.

I would follow the advice about the skimmers. either remora or tunze for skimmers.

You are in luck at this time of the year because there always seems to a mass exodus of the reefers around this time of the year, through the summer and just before school starts again.

bignose
06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm slowly buying all the components at the moment. I might have a chance at a 150W mh w/2-65W cf. It's a start.

I'm looking into the remora.

Thanks, bignose.