PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer? when how long?

banditpowdercoat
06-21-2008, 03:56 PM
OK, got my Jebo 18W UV hooked up to my 45g. Wondering how often you use it?? I also plumbed it in series with my Phosban reactor, Thats ok, right?

Stones
06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I too have my UV plumbed into my phosban reactor as phos media and UV's usually require around the same flow rate.

I run my UV 24 hours a day when I introduce a new fish, and then hardly ever after that unless my fish get stressed out or if I have a fish that is particularily prone to ich.

FishFun
06-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I do the same as Stones. I turn it on when I get a new fish then ,if needed, I set my timer to turn on the uv once the tank lights go out, then off when they come back on about 12h on & 12h off. I like the night cycle because the main lights are off & there isnt extra heat added to the water at the same time with lights on. If you get my drift!!!! Thats the only time I use mine is when adding new livestock. I have mine plumbed off my return (dart pump) with a valve to control flow then back to sump.

phreezee
06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Leave that on 24/7, cause Jebo's are junk from experience. It didn't kill anything and I even had algae grow on the glass tube lol.

fencer
06-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Contact time is dependant on your flow rate across the bulb.

marihoochie
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Yup, i run mine 24/7

hecks220
06-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Mine is hooked up to my day cycle, and plumbed inline to the carbon reactor and zeolites both in phosban reactors...Hey when the suns out, so is the uv! Not recommended for the zeolites, but i figure the down time is sufficient enough. UV's keep bacterial populations around natural seawater, as their is a trend in aquariums to have higher than normal levels. among other things....