PDA

View Full Version : My new DIY skimmer

CHEAPREEF
03-24-2003, 04:52 AM
My new DIY skimmer
I built my first beckett skimmer about a month ago, came to the conclusion it was just to big to put on my new 40gal cube. So i built this one on monday and tuesday night after work. Pluged it in on Friday and let it go till Saturday afternoon. To say the least i was disapointed, didn't skim anything no foam in the riser. So i cut an inch off the injector to raise it up a bit, works like a chram. Let me know what you guys think. Cost was under $50 CND, took about 4 hours to build and it's driven by a mag7.

Everything for the base cutout.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/00810011_G.sized.jpg
The base put together.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/00810013_G.sized.jpg
All asembled, but taken apart.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/00810014_G.sized.jpg
Fully asembled.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/00810017_G.sized.jpg
Two hours after staring it for the second time.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/00810023_G.sized.jpg
Close up
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/00810024_G.sized.jpg
Twelve hours after the startup.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/Picture_060.sized.jpg
Close up.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/Picture_061.sized.jpg

So far very pleased with the results.

Clinton

CHEAPREEF
03-24-2003, 05:21 AM
By the way this is neither beckett or venturi. :mrgreen:

Clinton

Dale D
03-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Looks good. :smile:

OK, it's not a Beckett or a venturi, so, what is it?

I've got my skimmer about 75% completed. :biggrin: Just have to decide how big to make the diameter of the second riser tube. 4" or 3"?

Any suggestions?

Dale D
03-24-2003, 06:26 AM
Never mind, I just looked at your pictures again. :lol:

What would that be considered, a spray nozzle skimmer? :smile:

CHEAPREEF
03-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Looks good. :smile:

OK, it's not a Beckett or a venturi, so, what is it?

I've got my skimmer about 75% completed. :biggrin: Just have to decide how big to make the diameter of the second riser tube. 4" or 3"?

Any suggestions?

Spray injection.

How big is your first riser? If it's 6" or larger you could go with 4"OD, if it's smaller go with 3"OD. The one on my beckett is 3 1/2", should have made it 3". By the way there are new pics of the beckett in "action" under that post. :biggrin:

Clinton

Dale D
03-24-2003, 06:40 AM
The first riser is 6".
I bought some 3" also (don't really know why I did after I bought it :confused: should have just got 4" instead), but, I would rather use 4", so, I may have to get some tomorrow. I can always find a use for the 3". :biggrin:

I saw the pictures of the Beckett skimmer in action. Looks like it is working great now. :smile:

What are you going to do with your "old" skimmer?

CHEAPREEF
03-24-2003, 01:08 PM
My old skimmer and pump will most likely go up for sale, provided this one works out in the next few days.

Clinton

Dale D
03-25-2003, 05:08 AM
Just finished making and assembling the riser tubes and collection cup of my skimmer. Just have a little polishing to do. :biggrin:

I did a dry assembly of the whole skimmer and found out that I may have to make a new box for it. :frown: It needs to be alittle bigger than I made it. :mad:

On the bright side I will have the first box to make something else out of. :mrgreen: I might have to try making one of those ones with the spray injector. :mrgreen:

CHEAPREEF
03-25-2003, 02:33 PM
I did a dry assembly of the whole skimmer and found out that I may have to make a new box for it. :frown: It needs to be alittle bigger than I made it. :mad:

Why? Is the riser tube to large to fit the top? I don't think it has to be a certain size as long as it has a baffle to stop micro bubbles and it will fit the riser tube you should be ok. :biggrin:

Just want to add something. I was showing my buddy at the LFS some pics of this yesterday, he asked me where the water level is in the riser? I told him that was why i'm so impressed with this little skimmer, the water level is about 1/2" down int he main box. The riser is all foam, no water. Just wanted to share that peice of info.

Clinton

Dale D
03-25-2003, 05:44 PM
The top flange (8") on the collection cup hits the injection tube and keeps it from lining up with the hole in the top of the box. I can probabily just make a new top and space the 2 tubes farther apart.

I'm also wondering if the top is thick enough. It is 1/4" acrylic. It looks like it bows down abit from the weight of the riser and injection tubes. but, that could be because the top is not glued in place yet. :biggrin: It should stiffen it up when it is glued on all 4 sides.

CHEAPREEF
03-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Just wanted to add a pic of the injector and spray patteren.

http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/Picture_079.sized.jpg

Clinton

BCOrchidGuy
03-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Where did you get that injector? I've never seen that before, very cool idea....

CHEAPREEF
03-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Made it.

Clinton

BCOrchidGuy
03-28-2003, 02:14 AM
I was wondering, very cool.

Dale D
04-01-2003, 04:32 AM
I'M DONE!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well almost. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Made a new box and glued everything together today. :biggrin:

Just have to find some material to make the gaskets and maybe do alittle more polishing. :biggrin:

Should have it up and running later this week.

Now I just have to make a new sump for it to go in. :mrgreen:

OH and one of those fancy auto shut off collection thingys, too, I guess. :mrgreen:

CHEAPREEF
04-01-2003, 04:57 AM
Cool. :mrgreen: You'll have to post some pics. Got my HOT skimmer done today as well. Just hooked it up to a bucket of water to test it, in freshwater. Worked pretty good, you could tell it was doing the foam thing. So i wanted to run it with salt, no salt mix anywhere to be found so i dumped some reg salt in the bucket. Holy man this thing is going to kick some butt. :turn-l: The hagen 802 is way too much though, i'll have to try a 300gph or less on it. :mrgreen:

Clinton

BCOrchidGuy
04-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Keep us posted, lots of pics...

Dale D
04-01-2003, 05:21 AM
I'd like to post some pictures,but:

#1. I don't have a digital camera. :frown: (I'll have to see if I can borrow one)

#2. I'm a moron. :mrgreen:

When it comes to using computers I'm lucky I can find this place. :mrgreen:

Post some pictures on your new HOT skimmer. I'd be very interested in seeing how you did it. Is it a spray injector design also?

CHEAPREEF
04-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Yep, and i'm in the same boat your in, no camera any more. My buddy finally came and wrestled his away from me. :mrgreen: I might pick up a cheapy in the next week or so, so stay tuned. :squarewi:

Clinton

Dale D
04-22-2003, 02:10 AM
Any pictures of the HOT skimmer yet? :biggrin:

I finally got some pictures of my skimmer, but, don't know how to post them. :sad:

I'll e-mail them to you if you want to see them.

I'm just about finished the waste collector for it. :mrgreen:

Now all I need is a pump to run it with. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

CHEAPREEF
04-22-2003, 04:07 AM
Yeah, email them to me and i'll see if i can post them for you if you want. I do have another HOT finished but haven't been able to borrow a digital camera yet. :sad: I guess i'll just have to break down and buy one.

Clinton

Dale D
04-22-2003, 05:47 AM
I e-mailed you a couple of pictures of my skimmer.

How about a drawing of the HOT instead then. :mrgreen:

I'm very interested in seeing how you designed this thing. :smile:

CHEAPREEF
04-22-2003, 06:17 AM
Very nice, looks better than mine. :cool: Here are Dales pics.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11210bmf2.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11210bmf4.jpg

Had to resize them, i don't think they lost a whole lot. I'll see if i can get a pic or two up in the next few days on the HOT.

Clinton

Troy F
04-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Dale, very nice work! I have to ask a few questions for curiousity's sake, what's the reason behind adding two 90s before the beckett? Also, why did you do the holes at the bottom of the column in that fassion?

Dale D
04-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Troy

I put the 2 90's on the input because the sump the skimmer is going into will not be too big so the pump will probabily be pretty close to the skimmer. I guess I could put 1 90 on it and then used plastic hose and bent it toward the skimmer. I still haven't finalized the input plumbing so it may change in the future. :smile: Besides I saw skimmers for sale from other companies on the net that did it that way. So, I did too. :mrgreen:

I am also going to put a union on the input near the 90's so I can disconnect the skimmer from the pump easier.

The holes in the bottom of the first riser are to let the water back out into the box. The water comes down the Beckett injector tube and through 2 2" 90's inside the box. The water and air them come up a 2" injector tube (not shown in place in the pictures) in the middle of the first riser. The water then exits the riser through the holes into the box and out the valve.

I stole the idea from Cheapreef :mrgreen: He borrowed it from a guy on RC who makes them for sale. It looked like an interesting idea. :cool: :biggrin:

DJ88
04-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Dale,

What are the dimensions of that baby? and how much to make.. ;) :D

Looks great BTW.

CHEAPREEF
04-23-2003, 02:39 AM
Just to add to Dales comments, the reason i built mine with the 90^ elbows at the end of the injector tube was for more contact time and less bubble return. The holes t the bottom of the riser column were also to minamize bubble return.

Clinton

Dale D
04-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Darren the skimmer is about 28" high. The box is around 10"x 8"x 6"

Cost is hard to figure out. Most of the tubing had to be bought in a 3' lengths, so I bought more than was needed. I had enough 6" left over to make a waste collector and I still have a bunch of other sizes left over for other projects. Plus a couple of prototype screw ups :rolleyes: resulted in some extra material needing to be bought. :redface:

I fired it up today at work for the first time. :eek: :mrgreen: I started removing junk from the rock tank it was on after about 10 minutes. :mrgreen: After a couple of hours the level of water/bubbles in the second riser fell and needed to be adjusted. I spent abit of time trying to get the level to remain constant (not too low and not too high). It's alittle touchy using the ball valve to adjust the level and will take a bit to get used to.

Cheapreef.

On your Beckett skimmer how high in the second riser did you set the water/bubble level?

Did you try to set it just below the collection cup riser?

In the pictures you posted of it in action it looks like the level is quite low in the second riser and in some pictures it looks like it is only in the first riser.

Did you just set the level low and let it run for a day or so?

If so, did the foam just start to form and rise up the tubes after awhile?

If I try to set the level to high it runs ok for a while, but, sometimes it would start to bubble over into the collection cup too fast. If I set it too low the level would drop and stay at about the half way point in the second riser. Maybe I just need to let it run at lower level for awhile and let it settle in. :confused:

I'll get this thing figured out sooner or later. :confused: :biggrin:

One last ? :mrgreen:

How long did the center injection riser (in the first riser) end up being on your skimmer?

Thanks.

CHEAPREEF
04-23-2003, 05:56 AM
I set the water level about 1/2 way up the first riser and let it settle for a while, then added the air and readjusted the water level to 1/2 way again. That was that ran great for three weeks that way until the store added more live rock to the tank and it went crazy and overflowed, but you shouldn't have that problem. The injector tube ended up being about 2" into the first riser, any higher and i couldn't control the washing machine effect. :mrgreen: Any more ?? fire away. Glad it works the first go, and again it looks very nice. :cool:

Clinton

Dale D
04-23-2003, 06:19 AM
Glad you don't mind ?'s :mrgreen:

One nice thing about this skimmer design is that there was no bubble return at all into the tank it was running on. :biggrin:

After you added the air and adjusted the water level again where did you leave the final level of water and bubbles sitting when you let it run for a while? Was it in the first riser or the second and how far up in the riser.

I think I need to set it up on my tank at home and just let it run for a couple days and see what happens.

I cut the center injection riser down to about 2.5" When it was about 5" long I was getting a clear band of water at the bottom of the first riser.

CHEAPREEF
04-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Yep no bubble return, that's the same deal. :mrgreen: The water level never went past 1/2 way up the first riser at any time, even with the air added. Here you can see from this pic, where the brown slim starts is where the water level was set. :mrgreen:

http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/album15/DC0005L.sized.jpg

Clinton

Dale D
04-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the help CHEAPREEF. :biggrin:

I guess I'm not used to these types of skimmers (powerful and efficient :eek: :mrgreen: ). I'm used to the type where you have to keep the water/bubble level pretty much right at the top of the skimmer (in the collection cup riser)in order to get it to produce any skimmate. :confused:

It's hard to believe that you can leave the water level so low and still get it to produce. :eek:

This has all been a big learning experience for me. Thanks again. :biggrin:

AJ_77
04-23-2003, 07:56 PM
How much for the HOT skimmer?? :eek:

CHEAPREEF
04-24-2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the help CHEAPREEF. :biggrin:

I guess I'm not used to these types of skimmers (powerful and efficient :eek: :mrgreen: ). I'm used to the type where you have to keep the water/bubble level pretty much right at the top of the skimmer (in the collection cup riser)in order to get it to produce any skimmate. :confused:

It's hard to believe that you can leave the water level so low and still get it to produce. :eek:

This has all been a big learning experience for me. Thanks again. :biggrin:

I'll let the skimmer speak for itself. :biggrin:

How much for the HOT skimmer?? :eek:

How much what? Did i build it for? Around $25 and about 4 hours for the first one, i hate all the design time. :cool: Or are you wanting one built? Cause that's a whole nother ball game :lol:

Clinton

smokinreefer
04-24-2003, 03:33 PM
DaleD/Cheapreef,
what kinda pump do you have running those skimmers of yours?

CHEAPREEF
04-24-2003, 04:53 PM
On the beckett a Little Giant 4MD-SC, on the spray injection Mag7.

Clinton

Dale D
04-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Smokin'

I don't have a pump for it right now, but, I was thinking about using a Mag 18 or 24. I don't know if a Mag 12 would be big enough.

I was trying it out at the store using a Laguna PJ 6 (1640 gph) But, I don't think (or know) if the Laguna's produce enough pressure to run this kind of skimmer properly.

CHEAPREEF

Any suggestion of what make and size of pump I should be using.

CHEAPREEF
04-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Well if you don't like the little gaint pumps (which worked awsome for me) i would either go with a GenX MAK4, Iwaki MD40RLT or a Mag 18 or better. You want a pressure rated pump, as the beckett takes about 600gph right off the top, the more pressure the better it's going to work.

Clinton

CHEAPREEF
05-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Dale, you ever get that thing skimming?

Clinton

Dale D
05-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Clinton

I finally got it hooked up this week. :biggrin:

It has taken me a little while to get used to adjusting it, but, I think I have it figured out. Trying to figure out if more air equals more bubbles or bigger bubbles. Or if less air equals less bubbles or smaller bubbles. :confused: Just have to get myself used to making an adjustment and then giving it sometime to settle in and do it's thing.

I read your post on RC about how feeding or putting your hands in the tank can effect the skimmer. I have noticed a drop off in production after I worked in the tank. I just have to learn to leave the skimmer alone and let it start producing on it's own again without fiddling with the settings. It's been a new learning process so far. :eek:

I hooked it up to a Mag 12 for now just to see how it will work with that size pump. I was thinking of using a Mag 18.

So, here come the ?'s :mrgreen:

Are the Mag pumps considered pressure rated pumps?

Would I get finer bubbles using a bigger pump? Mag 18 compared to a Mag 12?

Or should I be looking at getting a MAK 4, Little Giant, or something along those lines.?

Thanks Dale

DJ88
05-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Dale,

MAG's aren't pressure rated. Personally I'd go for the MAK4. They are pressure rated. Run a beckett great and consume a LOT less power. 1/2 to 1/3rd the power consumption.

Aquattro
05-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Dale,

MAG's aren't pressure rated. Personally I'd go for the MAK4. They are pressure rated. Run a beckett great and consume a LOT less power. 1/2 to 1/3rd the power consumption.

Often the decision here comes down to whether your sump is drilled or not. I have to use a submersible pump as I don't have any holes to run an external pump thru!

Canadian Man
05-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Dale,

Often the decision here comes down to whether your sump is drilled or not. I have to use a submersible pump as I don't have any holes to run an external pump thru!

I run my huge venturi skimmer with the intake for the pump as a U over the sump. I just upsized the tubing on the U to 1.5" and it shouldnt restrict the pump what soever. Just another opinion :biggrin:

Aquattro
05-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Jon, what happens if the power goes out? Don't you lose prime?

Acro
05-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Not if the pumps below the water line.

Aquattro
05-08-2003, 10:17 PM
OK, but how did you get water in the pipe in the first place?

Acro
05-08-2003, 10:22 PM
union

Aquattro
05-08-2003, 10:23 PM
union

OK, what about air bubbles? Wouldn't they break the suction? Sorry for all the questions, I just didn't think that would work (not well, anyway)

CHEAPREEF
05-08-2003, 10:29 PM
If you have enough flow air bubbles wont be a factor, they wouldn't be there long.

Clinton

Acro
05-08-2003, 10:34 PM
what bubbles? As long as the pumps low enough and enough water remains in the pvc then she just fires back up again. My returns are done this way.

Aquattro
05-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Jamie, the area in my sump I draw skimmer water from is pretty frothy! I figured if enough air got in the pipe, the siphon would break. I'll certainly try this at some point....

Acro
05-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Brad, I don't have many bubbles were I'm pulling from but don't see a problem either way.

Dale D
05-09-2003, 04:17 AM
Thanks Darren. I was thinking of going with the MAK 4.

I would just run a U tube over the sump until I get a chance to build my new sump and then I would install it using a bulkhead. There shouldn't be a problem using the U tube if it was kept as short as possible. If the power goes out there should enough water left in the pump and the skimmer to get it going again.

DJ88
05-09-2003, 04:40 AM
Brad,

I ran a MAK4 on my B3 as a U tube as well. As long as there is water above the intake of the pump so that when the impellor spins suction will be created. Usually enough to get the water flowing again. Worked with mine. :) As long as it was below the water line that is. ;) Now when the pump was above the water line.. different story.. lol Better go find someone who has good lips and can sucka golf ball through a garden hose. ;) It was for that reason I went to the below the waterline.

Anytime Dale.. :smile:

Canadian Man
05-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Not if the pumps below the water line.

Exactally! it's also feeding off the sump so if the power goes out then there is even more water in the sump.

Dale D
05-12-2003, 07:34 AM
Well thanks to Troy and Jamie I was able to get a Mak 4 and hook it up to my skimmer. :eek:

I thought it was producing alot of foam using the Mag 12. :biggrin:

I hooked the pump to the sump using a U tube. I primed the pump by sucking on the hose connected to the pump output.

Only thing is I forgot about the PVC glue fumes in the pump input plumbing. :eek: :drinking: :smilecol: :rainbowa: :eggface: