PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Gigantea???

Monti-Man
06-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Okay we'll he is darkening up and he is sticky i have just noticed the last few days that most of the day his mouth is open about the size of a quarter. Nothing is coming out and its not loose its just open.
What i do wonder is the way he has himself stuck in that rock is weird and i wonder if it is pulling on him? LIke he is wedged in there pretty good and the current moves him fairly good so i am wondering it that is it. And i do notice that if i turn a powerhead off it will close. Almost like it is the current.

Does that make sense at all? Should i worry?

Delphinus
06-21-2008, 04:51 AM
If it's just open about the size of a quarter, and everything else seems OK (3.5 weeks in, darkening, sticky and eating) then hopefully it's not too bad. My new one is doing it too. I noticed that after I was able to get it to ingest some food that it closed up.

My older ones don't really have their mouths closed 100% of the time either. Sometimes those little purple hook things stick out, sometimes not. I guess it's normal to not have the mouth closed tightly all the time. But this open mouth right now is probably an artifact of it still settling in.

When can we ever stop worrying? I'm not real sure. :p Hopefully the overall picture here is the real indication here, and from the other things you mention I think it's not bad.

They really are dependent on flow. The first day mine became super flacid until I had put a surging flow aimed close by to the anemone (not right AT the anemone), and it perked right up. Did you see Drew's post about putting his Vortech on "wave pulse" mode?

Monti-Man
06-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks Tony...

I agree this thing is the most stressfull thing other than my kids:)
I have never sat at stared at this tank so much in my life. I can't stand to go away for the day in case something happens to it...lol
Can we all say Need to get a life:lol::lol::lol:

Okay we'll he is moving himself as we speak and i believe he is going to perch himself on the top of the rock. Which is okay with me as then it will look like every other one i have seen. Flat and looking like a carpet....Mouth is currently closed even though he is moving.

And you know if i turn up the flow his mouth instantly opens...So he has moved himself out of the flow. He is pretty much moving like this now:5th video down
http://www.oceanfootage.com/oceans/search?screen=search&savesearch=1&keyword_sorter=cat&cat_keyword_sorter=and&keywords=purple+anemone&Go=Go

So in my quest to get surging high flow i honestly think it peeves him of as he either opens his mouth or moves:(

Dunno...But yes he is really sticky and eats we'll...And right now my kids say he looks"dirty":wink: And they say i should clean him....lol
He is just getting darker from the outside in...I would say he is probably going to be a carmal colour with green tips as it seems to stop at the tips.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Can you get a pic or a vid? I'd love to see how the colour is changing....as ours seem to be carbon copies of each other.