PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Clown Shrimp

Red Coral Aquariums
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I received two of these beautiful creatures with a shipment without my ordering them. I cannot properly care for them as they are specific feeders. Any one that is experienced with these Harlequin Clown Shrimp; they are very healthy and active; please contact me at Red Coral I will give a great deal.
Kevin 338-1880

Chaloupa
06-20-2008, 08:10 PM
OOOH too bad you weren't closer...I have a female and would love to add a male as they are really beautiful and peaceful. As long as they are fed properly they do very well!

BigA
06-20-2008, 08:12 PM
What do they feed on? Why are they such specialized feeders?

Chaloupa
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
they only eat starfish....NOTHING else. You can't even coax them to consider anything else. I got mine as I had a horrible issue with Asterina Stars. I have 5 starfish in other tanks to use as leg donors to my shrimp. I feed about 1 leg every week or so...you just use a different starfish each time and by the time you get back to the first star again it has grown a good portion of it's leg back.....I know it sounds horrible BUT you make a commitment to them when you get them. I use chocolate chip stars and sand sifters. My harlequin sees the tongs coming with the leg and she will come out to get it off the tongs!

Chowder
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Starfish

JDigital
06-21-2008, 03:41 AM
I saw the pair that Kevin has today... absolutely gorgeous things! I'd make the commitment if my tank was ready.!

danny zubot
06-30-2008, 06:55 PM
What kind of starfish? I have over a million bristle stars and quite a few brittle stars in my tank. Including a few that might be zoo predators.

Pier Pressure
06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I had one of these bad boys and it did not last very long. I have a ton of brittle stars and it did not seem to touch those. I had a bunch of those little white starfish and it ate all of those. To this day I have never seen a little white starfish in the tank again. Then I froze a starfish and was trying to feed it a leg at a time. I never saw it again and think it must have starved as it just did not like legs. The only time it would eat was if it had an entire starfish put in with it to munch on. EEWWWW.

purplepolypeater
06-30-2008, 07:46 PM
they eat linckia mainly best wat to feed them is keep the starfish separate and break a leg every week or so you need a few starfish so that they regrow as fast as they are removed

Chaloupa
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
they eat linckia mainly best wat to feed them is keep the starfish separate and break a leg every week or so you need a few starfish so that they regrow as fast as they are removed

mine eats both chocolate chip starfish legs, AND sand sifting star legs...comes right out to the tongs when I bring a leg into the tank...takes it from the tongs and off she goes to eat....I have several "donaters" in my tanks....3 sand sifters and 2 chocolate chips

Pier Pressure
06-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I only tried the frozen method because I have a 28 gallon tank and no refugium or sump or anything. Asked for advice and somebody told me to freeze a star and break the legs off but I guess mine just did not like frozen food. I watched her tear two $20 starfish into pieces and then decided to try something cheaper. She just would not go for it at all.

Chaloupa
07-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah I had heard the idea to freeze them too, almost did but made use of other spaces I had and am happy....she sure got through the asterina population...I see very very few now (which I am thankful for as I find them in zoa and corals...)

Rbacchiega
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
picked up the pair today...along with some other stuff. They look awesome and are going to be quite happy in the nano I'd assume

Red Coral Aquariums
07-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm glad they went to a good home. Keep us posted on how they are doing.
Kevin

Rbacchiega
07-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Will do, Kevin.

They've been munching down on a piece of leg for the last day or so, but have colored up really well already

Red Coral Aquariums
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Good to hear about the harlequin shrimp but not so good to hear about the starfish. LOL They were beautiful colors at the store I can imagine what they were after feeding.
Kevin