PDA

View Full Version : Light Lifter

Oscar
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
The light system that comes with the Cad39G sits on legs which in turn rest on the side glass of the aquarium.

The space between the lights and the top of the aquarium glass is only about 4". That means that any maintenance or even minor adjustments of the inhabitants has to be done after removing the entire light system. This is getting to be a bit of a pain.

The lighting unit is also deisgned to hang from the ceiling.

This "pulley" system is available to allow adjustment of height apparently similar to how venetiaon blinds work. Has anyone tried this system or developed something similar?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/prairie56/sunlightsupply-sunlift.jpg

Oscar
06-21-2008, 12:17 AM
bump

purplepolypeater
06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
i have seen a lot of people with the pulley system. ya dude and morph both use it so that replacing bulbs does not stress or burn coral

Marlin65
06-21-2008, 03:49 AM
I just picked one up for my light will let you know.:wink:

Oscar
06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
I just picked one up for my light will let you know.

Did you pick up the version sold by OA or a different make?

My lights are approximately 20lbs and the system sold by OA is rated at 22lbs. I'd like to find a system rated at a higher weight just to be on the safe side.

banditpowdercoat
06-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Im running a set on my Teklights. From JL Works great. I run my lights low on tank, so I oift them for feeding and other husbandry duties. Love them little pulleys

Oscar
06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Love them little pulleys

What is the weight of your lights?

banditpowdercoat
06-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Not that heavy though. its the 96w 4 bulb 24"

Marlin65
06-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Did you pick up the version sold by OA or a different make?

My lights are approximately 20lbs and the system sold by OA is rated at 22lbs. I'd like to find a system rated at a higher weight just to be on the safe side.

Ya got it from OA I just hooked it up seems okay but the hooks are a bit flimsy. I hooked up both on one light as only one is rated for 11 lbs.
My only concern is the thread melting as the light gets pretty hot. I think I will put in a bit of chain just in case.

mseepman
08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
The light system that comes with the Cad39G sits on legs which in turn rest on the side glass of the aquarium.

The space between the lights and the top of the aquarium glass is only about 4". That means that any maintenance or even minor adjustments of the inhabitants has to be done after removing the entire light system. This is getting to be a bit of a pain.

The lighting unit is also deisgned to hang from the ceiling.

This "pulley" system is available to allow adjustment of height apparently similar to how venetiaon blinds work. Has anyone tried this system or developed something similar?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/prairie56/sunlightsupply-sunlift.jpg

Hey Oscar, I just got this from J&L (you have to search their site) and am planning on using it for my new nano light hood. It's rated for 22lbs only so I have to watch it. Did you ever decide if you were going to hang your lighting?

Oscar
08-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey Oscar, I just got this from J&L (you have to search their site) and am planning on using it for my new nano light hood. It's rated for 22lbs only so I have to watch it. Did you ever decide if you were going to hang your lighting?

I have the pulley uit sitting on the shelf at the moment. I still plan to install it, just have not gotten to it yet. My light canopy is ~22lbs so I am a bit nervous about using it. Maybe 2 sets would work.

How heavy is your light system?

mseepman
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
NOt sure, haven't weighed it. It's gotta be around 20 - 25 lbs.

I don't think that the lighting will fall down, I think that the retractable option on it just might not work very well.