PDA

View Full Version : What the heck happened to my trigger?

seanoman
06-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Almost 2 weeks ago, I posted a thread and some pics of our new sargassum trigger....we were so excited to get it and it has been nothing short of a nightmare!! We still have not been able to get the fish to eat for us after trying everything that we can think of. The other night when we were doing our water change we lifted up the rock that it had been hiding under for a few days to see if it was still alive, it was but this is what it looks like now:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/seanoman44/FragsFish141.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/seanoman44/FragsFish148.jpg

Does anyone know what this is and is there anything that we can do for it? We have removed it from our main system and it is currently in a tank by itself. PLEASE HELP US!!

Marlin65
06-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Not sure what that is but a dip in some medication might help. If you have him in a QT there is a lot of stuff you can add to get rid of bad stuff.
Hopefully someone might know what that is to guide you in the right direction.
Looks like some sort of fungus to me.

naesco
06-19-2008, 06:27 AM
See the Coral Beauty post. I would use both as it may be both bacterial and fungal.

Was the trigger eating when you bought it?
What are the parameters of the tank.
If it is hiding it is stessed. Stay away from the tank except to feed and water change, and add an air diffuser to help increase the oxygen level.

seanoman
06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
naesco- we got the trigger from someone, not from a pet store and they hadn't had it very long either but that had said that it was eating. Our water parameters are really good, I checked them the day before yesterday and nitrates were at 0, phosphates are at 0, ammonia was at 0, pH was at 8.1. So nothing out of the ordianry there. Can you get medication at any pet store to treat this kind of thing?

michika
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Would it be possible to describe the head injury more? Is it like a scab, discoloration, or maybe even an open wound with flaking skin?

seanoman
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
michika- it is like a scab but there is also skin discoloration around the scab as well. It's really wierd looking, I have never seen anything like it. It doesn't look like a wound to me but more like an infection of sorts.

michika
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Is the area raised? It could be a wound that got infected. Is the whole thing bumpy or is it just a single area? I'm leaning more along the lines of an infection of sorts at this point.

1. Gotta get it eating, what have you tried at this point?
2. Need to figure out if its a fungal, or other type of infection
3. Treat the fish

If you can get closer photos of the injury we might be able to tell you what kind of infection it resembles. You also may want to try sending some photos to wet web media, or starting a thread on RC for more feedback.

seanoman
06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
The area does not look raised really, other than the flaking skin (or what looks like skin). It doesn't look bumpy really, just more flaky and the discolored area isn't bumpy. It might be an infection caused from a wound, 4 or 5 days ago, we noticed that it had a little scrape in it's nose, so we night be getting somewhere here.

As for food...what haven't we tried. So far, we have tried frozen mysis, krill, and brine shrimp. Also, we have tried clams on a half shell, formula 2 flake, nori and cyclopeeze. We have been soaking the frozen food in garlic as well. I have been dosing the tank with Vitamin C too to try and give the fish a boost. I'm kinda at my wits end with this fish, something should be appealing to eat by now you'd think.
I will try to get better pics when I get home but the location of the tank that it's in, makes it awkward to get a good shot. I also have 2 different threads going on RC right now, but no one on there seems to be much help yet.

michika
06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Your description is very good. I'm leaning towards infection, and maybe you want to treat with an antibiotic. Certain fungal infections on fish tend to me more raised and fluffy in appearance which isn't what you are describing in the least.

Do you know what the previous owner fed it? If I were you I'd add in that extra airstone, and probably start treatment with an antibiotic. In the mean time I'd maybe try clams on the half shell, nori on stick (my triggers in the past loved this), maybe live ghost shrimp. Its also possible that the fish just isn't hungry because of the infection.

Your doing all the right things, and I really hope this pulls through for you.

This is from liveaquaria about fungal infections in marine fish; "Most fungal infections have a characteristic white fluffy appearance and are commonly known as 'cotton wool disease.' As the fungal infections worsen, they may take on a gray or even red appearance." Since this only happened in about a week I'm doubting its fungal. (link (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=75))

Interior_Reef
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey Sean,

My Sarg took a few days to eat, but when it started, it was hard to get him to stop. Like Michka said, i would try the clam, or even shrimp, From superstore.

Good luck, i hope he makes it.

seanoman
06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
thanks for the encouragement michika! It does sound like an infection more and more now. Is there a particular type of antibiotic that would be best for treating it? I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it's still ok when we get home and we can start treating it. I will keep trying with the clams and nori like you suggested and add an airstone and see how it goes. Also, the fish is currently being housed in our salt water mixing tank, which is a 75 gallon tank but is only about half full right now. I have an empty 10 gallon that I could quickly set up, would that be horribly small for it? I don't really want to contaminate that tank if I don't have too.

naesco
06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
naesco- we got the trigger from someone, not from a pet store and they hadn't had it very long either but that had said that it was eating. Our water parameters are really good, I checked them the day before yesterday and nitrates were at 0, phosphates are at 0, ammonia was at 0, pH was at 8.1. So nothing out of the ordianry there. Can you get medication at any pet store to treat this kind of thing?
You should phone all the fish stores as you will run around trying to find it and lose time.
As Mardel has many products make sure it is Saltwater Maroxy that they have.

michika
06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I think it would probably be best for it to stay in the 75g since it is such a big fish. However I definitely see where you are coming from with being concerned about contamination.

I'm looking at the Seachem (http://seachem.com/products/medications.html) website and their available medications and Paraguard is looking like a good catch all type medication. You can click on the link to see all the medications. I'm pretty sure its widely carried but I'm not too sure about that.

What is the triggers behavior like now? Still hiding?

muck
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Ive gotten stubborn Triggers to eat by dangling a silverside on fishing line in the tank. Poke a hole in the body just above the tail and tread the fish line through and dangle in the tank just like Nori. Worth a try...

VFX
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Sean I have some Paraguard (http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html) at home if you want to come over & get it.

I'll be around after 7.30pm

Maybe combine it with some antibiotic treatments & see if things get better.

seanoman
06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
michika- the trigger's a little more active now that it's in a quiet tank but it doesn't swim around too much, it kinda just stays in one area of the tank, but it's not hiding. Do you think that it would be possible to treat it in that tank and then do a REALLY thorough clean of it after the treatment is done? I'd still be a little leary about doing it though.

muck-thanks for the tip, I will try the clams again first and if all else fails will try the silverside idea.

VFX- thanks for the offer, but I think I will just go and quickly pick some up after work so at least I have it on hand.

seanoman
06-19-2008, 11:19 PM
got home from work, and there's good news and bad news. The good news is that it's still alive :biggrin: and the bad news is that it doesn't look any better. I plugged an airstone in right away and we are off to get some meds for it and some fresh clams to hopefully entice it....wish me luck!

Has anyone ever used a large rubbermaid container as a QT tank?? We have a pretty big one at home that I was thinking of using...do you think that this'll work?

michika
06-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Glad your trigger is still around and swimming!

I'd worry that moving your trigger to the rubbermaid would be stressful to the trigger, but other then that I don't have any objections. I use a large rubbermaid as a sump right now and its done me well for some time.

VFX
06-20-2008, 12:34 AM
I mix my new salt water in a Rubbermaid... should be fine but like Catherine says, moving him may be extra stress he doesn't need right now.

Good luck with him.

Hope he makes it.

dsaundry
06-20-2008, 02:15 AM
I have some of this if you want to try it...worked great on my clowns
http://www.polyplab.com/medic.html

TimT
06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Sean,

It looks like a bacterial infection eating the skin. My recommendation would be to add the following to food.
http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Focus.html

Cheers,
Tim

seanoman
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey, Thanks everybody for the advice, but unfortunately we lost the fish a couple days ago. We tried using an antibiotic in the water, but I just think it was too late for it to work. It really sucks because I just loved that Fish and they are so hard to come by.

But thanks again to everybody that replied and offered to help. You guys were a lot more help than the people over on RC.

dsaundry
06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Sorry you lost the fish.....really sux.....:sad: