PDA

View Full Version : Michika - Your Food

EmilyB
06-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Hey,

Been having some problems with the oil slick and can't remember what fish you were using in there? I remember when I was making the Bob Fenner recipe, he used sea bass, and I found out...whoa, way waaay too oily. I tried halibut (hubby said - you are fricking putting halibut in the FISH FOOD...) and then I think I eliminated it because the fish aren't fish eaters..:lol:

Anyway, do you take off the oil before feeding or what can you suggest?

michika
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I rinse the food first in RO/DI before adding it into the tank. I also break it up before feeding it too. I have a strainer I use to make the process quick.

I'm starting to think it may be the cuttlefish or squid that makes it oily. As well I don't water the food down when I make it, so its a bit more concentrated. This batch seems to have more oil in it then previous batches, and it also has more squid overall then previous batches.

This is what was in that particular batch:
- Mysis
- Nori (Greed, Red/Brown, Purple)
- Garlic (crushed)
- Scallops
- Vitamins (Selcon and Kent Zoe)
- Squid
- Krill
- Spirulina flakes
- Enriched rotifers
- Spirulina enriched brine shrimp
- Cyclop-eeze
- Silversides with heads and tails removed
- Cuddlefish
- Shrimp

UnderTheSea
06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
The oil slick could be caused by many products within your food. I've been making my own food for several years now and a small slick is nothing to be concerned about. The fish oils are of which is high on the Omega's. Could be the garlic, any of the fish (squid, scallops etc) and could even be the Selcon or or Zoe. One trick I use is to mix all your wet products first then add the dry just prior to bagging (cyclopeeze, nori etc) This helps to soak up some of the juices. The food I sell I don't advise to wash prior to adding to tank. Just thaw in some tank water and add. Any of your liquid or mixed really fine products you are just washing away. I also use golden pearls in my mixture and at less than 50 micros I'ld just be washing that down the sink as well.

HTH,
Chris