PDA

View Full Version : Advice on some Problems

Hangfire
06-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Okay, I've had my tank up and running for just over one month now. All the parameters are good - ammonia is at 0, nitrate 0, nitrite also 0. I'm measure the phosphate level of my tank water, the water I'm using to top up, and my salt as a fresh mix and they all come back at 0 (or near enough). However, I seem to be growing a bumper crop of algae and I'm not sure what to do. I tried having the lights out for three days and it worked like a charm - all the hair algae died off and the algae picture below took it's place with a vengeance. Does anyone know what type of algae I'm dealing with? Does anyone know a good way to kill it off? Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? I've done a partial water change two weeks ago and will do another one this weekend. There are no critters in the tank other than 5 hermit crabs and three snails - so over feeding isn't a problem. Thanks for any and all help. Oh, I've also got a picture of a flat worm - I can only guess that this is the bad worm, correct?

michika
06-19-2008, 03:31 AM
All I can tell you is that your algae isn't hair algae. You may want to consider trying to manually pull it out. You can also try to ride it out since your tank is relatively new. I don't know enough to comment on the flatworm stuff other then they can be a big pain if they get a foothold and grow their population.

dsaundry
06-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Looks like a flatworm.. but does it look like it has a bit of a shell on it..thought it might be a stomatella....
algae is normal for a new tank..pick it out or ride it out..just keep your eyes on it..if it is a flatworm I agree you dont want them to get a foothold in your tank..certain wrasses and pepermint shrimp can sometimes take out a few flatworms..or so I am told...good luck and remember be patient.

Marlin65
06-19-2008, 06:06 AM
That is a flat worm for sure. (forked tail is a dead giveaway)
I had a few of them squish them against the glass or try to pick them out. If you get too many they can be a problem.
Your tank will go through different algae stages as it matures. I would agree with michika it does not look like hair algae pull it out as best as you can a bit more time and you will run into the next stage. As your tank gets more mature it should go away as long as the rest of your parameters are ok.

Hangfire
06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the responses all. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens with the algae. As for the flat worms - there are quite a few around in the tank. I'll see if I can siphon them out, and I might see if a peppermint shrimp will take a liking to them.