PDA

View Full Version : Tank trouble!!

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 12:15 PM
I noticed over the last two days that I have some kind of problem (in the tank). I recently removed 2 Hagen powerheads and replaced them with 3 maxijets. This is to run off my new (used) RedSea wavemaker. I hooked everything up and noticed that one of the powerheads wasn't working. It turned out to be a problem with the wavemaker. I didn't worry about it. A few days later, I figured I'd plug the non-working PH into a full time power source while I wait for my new wavemaker. I had to adjust it for direction and during this my 4" Maxima closed up (it's about 3" away from the PH). I plugged in the PH and my clam hasn't opened since. Last night I felt that since this was the cause, I unplugged the PH. This morning I notice that the clam still isn't open, although I just turned on the light, but also all the corraline on the rock the clam is on has turned white for about 5" down the rock. The clam sits on a separate rock in a pinnacle shape. The corraline on the clam is also turning white. 2 other small areas in the tank are turning white also. Is this related to "leaky" PH? Or is this unrelated? No other changes within this time frame.
All fish, corals, and other clams are fine. Water quality is perfect (although I haven't checked pH yet).
Only other change was the addition of a Ca reactor 3 or 4 weeks ago. I don't think it's related to the reactor, but opinions are welcome!

Steve, if you could come by ASAP with a multi-meter, we can test the powerhead for stray voltage.

I do not have a grounding probe...does anyone?

Any and all ideas are more than welcome. I realize that if it was the PH, it could be days until I notice a change. I'm not in awaiting mood though, and would like to explore all ideas!

Thanks.

Troy F
02-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Brad, how long has the clam been closed up? My idea is; if it were stray voltage you'd notice it in more than just the clam. The localized bleaching of your coralline is odd or the start of a problem. Figure out the pH and check to see that there aren't any pests bothering your clam.

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Troy, it's been closed almost two days. This coincides with the corraline bleaching. No pests bothering the clam, but I turkey basted under it's shell to be sure. Nothing at all on the mantle. I inspect my clams almost daily for snails, etc.
I was thinking maybe a magnetic field from the PH rather than voltage. I'll go home at lunch today and check pH and see how things look with the PH unplugged. Probably make some water too!!

Acro
02-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Brad,
Since the addition of your reactor have you been testing alk levels? I'm just wondering if perhaps it has climbed above exceptable levels.Also how long have you had the clam for?
Jamie

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Jamie, alk is at 4.1 mEq/l, clam has been there for 3 months.
Ca - 420 ppm
Temp - 81 C
pH - 8.3 average last time I checked a week ago.
A/N/N - 0/0/0ppm
No additives
No other changes from normal routine.

I can't test pH of my reactor effluent due to test kit limitation (7.4 min).
Calling Allen for a pinpoint today.

Reefmaster
02-25-2002, 01:49 PM
hey brad
we haven't yet met but i've got an extra ph meter you can borrow for now if needed to check things out. you are also welcome to borrow my grounding probe as well.
call if you like - i am home all day.
shane 472-2740

Seaquest
02-25-2002, 01:58 PM
Hi

Are you dripping any kawkwasser into your tank which may be blown down over the clam and rock by the new power head. If there was stray voltage it would effect more than just your clam. Are adding chemicals correctly in corect amounts and methods? It may not be stray static voltage but rather a undetectable short in the power head leaching raw voltage into the tank.

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Shane, thanks, I'll give you a call. You're down behind UVic, right?

Seaquest, no, no kalk at this time. No additives at all. Well, RO water, but no chemicals.
The problem is pretty much localized to the clam and 6 inches of rock below it. Just plain weird!!

Acro
02-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Hmmmm,Well all I can think of is now is if the clam has died then perhaps the leaching dead animal would kill the corraline below it. How did the clam look up till yesterday? How did the incurrent syphon look? Was it gapeing? The only thing I can remember reading sometime ago is that what you have experienced happens to newly introduced clam. I would still concider 3 months new intro. I would geuss that perhaps the clam was sick to begin with (perhaps unvisable) but the one change put it over the edge. Obviously just speculation.

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 02:40 PM
Jamie, I don't think that's it. I had a clam die once and I know how it acted. This clam is still responsive to light and is partially open. It was perfect until the moment I plugged in the PH. It has been fully expanded, non-gaping and growing steadily. I have about 1/3 of an inch growth in the shell in 3 months. I believe there is a pic of this clam in the second batch of pictures I posted the other day. It looks, well, happy as a clam!!

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 02:42 PM
Here is a pic from the other day.

http://www.islandreef.ca/clam2.jpg

Reefmaster
02-25-2002, 02:48 PM
brad yup i'm just down the hill from the uni. just found out have physio at 2:45 so will be out 2:30 to 3:30 ish.

Acro
02-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Brad,
I geuss we'll just have to wait and see what you report after your next viewing. It's pretty tough to come up with a diagnosis and when something goes wrong thats what we all look for including myself. After looking at the picture of your clam I to would be very concerned as it's beautiful.
Good Luck,Jamie

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 03:01 PM
Yup, I'll get together with Shane and borrow his pH meter. The clam is always closed in the morning so until I go home at lunch, we're all just guessing. It is a beautiful clam and I hope that this is a temporary problem.

[ 25 February 2002: Message edited by: Reef_Raf ]</p>

Aquattro
02-25-2002, 06:06 PM
So after going home for lunch (had some great chili), the clam is looking better than this morning.
Testing pH shows the tank at 7.9 and the effluent from my reactor at 7.6. Looking at things with the lights on seems to indicate the corraline going white where the return water flows. Although the other big white patch also has a power head beside it.
Any tips on raising pH permanantly without a refugium? My skimmer is big and aerating the water very well.
Could a pH of say 7.7 or 7.8 affect areas of contact like this? I'm guessing that the pH was below 7.9 first thing in the morning.
Any ideas given this info?

BTW, thanks to Shane for his help. Didn't even know the guy and he lent me equipment!!

Aquattro
02-26-2002, 01:06 PM
OK, so here is what I think the problem is...

I measured the pH at the input of the sump before lights on and found 7.8. Pretty low..So I think that the last chamber of my sump, where my reactor discharges, has an even lower pH (had to get to work so haven't measured it yet)of say 7.6 or 7.7. This water is being returned to the tank via two outputs pointing from the rear center of the tank to the front corners (right where the clam is). I also notice now that the opposite front corner has some whitening of corraline as well. This coincides with me stopping the use of limewater, as the reactor is now meeting all requirements for Ca and alk.
Without the kalk upping the pH, the output stream from the return pump had a low pH flow that directly hits the afflicted areas.
My idea to fix this is move the reactor output into a tube that will be placed directly over the pump input for my skimmer. Hopefully this agitation will expel some/all of the CO2 that the reactor puts in.
If this doesn't work, I'll have to consider a refugium full of algae on a reverse light cycle(I don't really have room for this though).

Thoughts??

Reefmaster
02-27-2002, 11:20 AM
how are things looking brad? clam open up yet?
shane

Aquattro
02-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Shane, the clam has improved, but still isn't open as much as before this. I still haven't decided what the problem is, but I'm trying to keep the pH higher to see if there is an improvement. pH 7.8 in the morning is a bit low for my comfort. I'm dripping kalk again to maintain a higher value, so I'll see how that works.
I still suspect that the power heads had some impact, although I feel this is only a slight possibility at this point. The whitening is most pronounced around them, although they are also in the path of the return water. Who knows. I'm making water now for a larger than normal water change, but overall, I'm still guessing.