PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Yellow-headed Sandsifting Goby

dandyfop
06-18-2008, 07:35 PM
What a terrible fish this is. I just got it.

All it does is make my fish tank look like a snow globe, and cover all of my corals and LF with gravel!! The worst part is that he is here for good, there is no way I can catch him without dismantling my tank...

So what he keeps the gravel nice looking if it is at the expense of the water clarity (which I have tweaked my protein skimmer, added filter socks / phosphate removers, refugium, overflow, etc etc etc. to make look nice), and corals/liverock.
arrgg..

Why is this fish even in the trade...

What not add fish that eat LR, or the silicone sealing the tank?!

Am I overreacting?

kat
06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Am I overreacting?

uhhhh...yeah. Research before buying.

xtreme
06-18-2008, 08:12 PM
You could try trapping him. I've had some luck with traps in the past. Depends on the fish, some won't go near it, others have no problem swimming right in.

Brent F
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Sand sifting gobies are great fish for a deep sand bed with the correct texture of sand. If you are getting a lot of clouding your sand is probably too fine.

I have a pink spotted watchman and love it. It is very aggressive toward other fish and is a jumper so needs to be kept in a tight tank with large fish or alone. My sand is a mix of sugar sized, slightly larger, and live rock rubble and there is no clouding. He is constantly rearranging the sand searching for food in it.

I have a coco worm, hermit crabs, shrimp and star polyps with it, all of which are fine with the constantly shifting sand base.

I agree, they wouldn’t be the best fish for a tank that you need to worry about things being covered in sand.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/Brent_F/IMG_1858.jpg

super7
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I have a pink spotted watchman do, great fish to have and one of my favorite.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/super7EFL/shrimpgoby.jpg
IF YOU do the research you will get the right fish.
Super7

Black Phantom
06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
It must be just your fish :lol:
My orange spotted is a great addition and pretty much leaves the sand alone. He mostly spends his day perched on his favorite rock.

SATELLITE
06-25-2008, 06:35 AM
i too have that exact same goby. he is pretty cool looking, doen't go to far from home and likes to keep it clean. any empty shells close to him he moves it. kinda wierd

untamed
06-25-2008, 05:26 PM
It must be just your fish :lol:
My orange spotted is a great addition and pretty much leaves the sand alone. He mostly spends his day perched on his favorite rock.

The Orange spotted behaviour is very different from the yellow-head. Yellow heads take a mouthful, then swim upward letting the sand fall through as they rise. Orange spotted stay on the sand bed. As a result, the yellow heads tend to deposit a lot more sand in higher areas.

However...like clockwork every few weeks, my orange spotted male tries to bury the female under a mountain of substrate. This is deliberate building not related to eating. Drives me nuts, but it is still easier than cleaning the sand all the time!

Whatigot
06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I LOVE my pink spotted shrimp goby, never aggressive and doesn't make much of a mess either.
was my first addition and hasn't been a problem in any of the ways described above....

fishoholic
06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a yellow headed sleeper goby and yes he does move sand around the tank, but I don't notice it that much. He does a great job keeping the sand bed clean, so I for one am quite happy with this fish.

dsaundry
06-26-2008, 01:28 AM
So far I am happy with my yellow head...:biggrin: Yes he does move sand..:lol:

dandyfop
07-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Thankfully, mine has chilled out a bit over the last couple of weeks...

For that first week though, it was like a snowstorm in my tank

WhoPoopWrasse
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Maybe he was excited to be in a new home, I have an ornate goby and he does the same thing too but it's not that bad.
He had a death wish the first year I got him. He jumped out twice and both times he was dried up and stiff as a board. The first time I put him in the QT and he sank to the botom like a rock and it took him a week to be able to bend a bit. A week later he was ok and was returned to the main tank. The second time I had no choice but to put him back in the main tank since the QT was occupied and he still pulled through, tough little guy huh?