PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheap solution - Solved

rocketlily
06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
As the title says, I am looking for a cheap solution to setting up an overflow for a temporary 50 gal. tank. My new 90 gal will not be ready for some time as we have now decided to put in new hardwood floors for the tank to sit on. I have a 50 gal (not drilled) that I would like to put the new rock in to cycle and sit for a few months. I have the skimmer and return pump to set in a temporary sump, but I am not sure of how to get the water to the sump. If I have to purchase something new that will not be used in the new tank, like an overflow box, I would like cheap ideas.

Problem solved - bouying a used overflow box

Thanks

bassman
06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I made my 1st hang on overflow box from two ice cube tubs from Wally world. They are cheap, flexible plastic that you can cut with good scissors. So installing bulkheads is a breeze.

If you are handy you can figure out a way to hang them, one inside the tank as your weir and one on the back for your bulkheads. I used some old plastic hangers I had laying around from old equipment and used nylon screws to attach them to the buckets.

I made some hangers once before by placing a couple 2" wide x 8" long strips of 1/4" plexi-glass in the oven until somewhat flexible and then bent them around a pipe. That is if you happen to have some plexiglass laying around or some other type of rigid plastic.

After you have them hung you just need to make a u-tube, I made mine from PVC elbows. Start the siphon and away you go.

I bought a Tom Aqualifter to keep my siphon going just to be safe. I have been running a somewhat modified verson for some time now, no problems so far.

The ice cube tubs were around $3.00 so screwing up isn't a major problem, it's easy enough to start all over from scratch.

Brent F
06-18-2008, 07:55 PM
If you are just using it to cure rock why not forget about using the sump and place the skimmer in the 50 gal with the rock?

No need to worry about a temporary overflow and it will cost you nothing.

Whatigot
06-18-2008, 08:11 PM
If you are just using it to cure rock why not forget about using the sump and place the skimmer in the 50 gal with the rock?

No need to worry about a temporary overflow and it will cost you nothing.

Agreed, this makes a lot of sense, though you may need a powerhead in there for water movement unless your return pump is submersible and you can just put it in there and let it run wild...

adversely you could run a simple line to your pump and back to your aquarium if needed...:fadein: