PDA

View Full Version : RODI and TDS problems:(

nanoreefer
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
i bought an aquasafe RO DI unit and i realy dont like it mutch it leaks and is a pain but i cant aford another one for a wile, it was doing a good job filtering the water and i had 0 TDS, but when i changed the DI resin cartrige to a new one iam haveing problems, the water whent over the DI resin because there was some space as the canister wasent packed full, so i changed it agian and agian it isent full, sence i had no more i turned it on its end so the water would go up threw it not sideways, and it dident seem to work i had 66TDS, then today i tuned it on again and now its 0?? anyone know what might have happened i let it run before so the water i tested wasent sitting in the unite? if anyone eles uses the aquasafe aquarium untie how do you like it?

my other problem is that i lost the instructions for my HM TDS meter, i maid some SW out of desperation with the 66TDS water afew days ago and have it in a brute barbage can(its for my FOWLR not reef)and when i whent to test it again it said ERR_ i thoguth a TDS meter worked in SW? i have never used it in SW before sence i just tested the RODI water i was going to use before i made it, is the water to high in TDS to meause from the salt(IO brand BTW)

sorry for the long post but iam realy paranoid about my water:redface:

christyf5
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I have an aquasafe unit too. Mine is about 4 years old or so and I love it. Although I have nothing to compare it with. Last year I switched to the refillable resin unit (which I can't say I'm really all that enamored with but its cheaper).

If it leaks you probably need some teflon tape where the john guest fittings (elbows) screw in. You can get teflon tape from pretty much anywhere these days and it works like a charm.

I find when you change out your DI resin you need to run about 5 gallons through the unit to clear out any nasties in the resin. I always do that, although I've never checked my TDS while I'm doing this. My canister isn't totally full either, there is some space at the top (when mounted horizontally) but I figure its all mixing around in there and my TDS is 0 so whatever.

I don't think TDS meters work in saltwater, just fresh as they usually carry low (or relatively low) levels of total dissolved solids in freshwater. With saltwater, you've just mixed in a whole lot of salt (dissolved solids), likely your meter can't read that high so it just says "error".

Hope that helps.:biggrin: