PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max Owners

Chaloupa
06-16-2008, 06:11 AM
I just bought a new Red Sea Max....opened it up and it looks like the entire hood has to be wired??? Is this normal? Does anyone have a picture of theirs that I could look at? Seems like more than a "plug and play" the way mine is.......concerned!

nats
06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I just installed mine two days ago. The hood was complete with just the lights to install. I am a concerned by the lack of flow from the powerheads. Let me know what you think when you get up and running.

Brent F
06-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I just bought a new Red Sea Max....opened it up and it looks like the entire hood has to be wired??? Is this normal? Does anyone have a picture of theirs that I could look at? Seems like more than a "plug and play" the way mine is.......concerned!

The only thing that needs to be done is install the light tubes, install the additional cooling fan and plug everything into the built in powerbar. There is no wiring required, just pluging stuff in (plug in the hood, two power heads, heater and skimmer).

There should only be one cord coming out of the hood with everything prewired into it.

NATS - most peope add a Korillia 1 or 2 in the back right corner to increase flow. Some people also replace one of the two stock pumps with a Maxijet to increase flow in the back.

RSM
06-17-2008, 12:20 AM
All i had to install were the two light bulbs for the hood. The two pumps seem very weak but the system works well thus far.

Chaloupa
06-17-2008, 01:05 AM
THANKS for all the replies...seems it was just a mixup with the boxes...I got the box with the RSM which was being used for parts...and WAS missing quite a few! WHEW! My replacement will be here tomorrow...just a mixup and thanks again for the replies...I really appreciate it! I will post once mine is up but I have been reading quite a bit on them and the forums for them...and I will be adding a powerhead for flow thats for sure!

RSM
06-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I just found out the problem with my pumps on my RSM. The carbon bag was caught in both intake tubes of the powerheads. I used a plastic tube and pushed the carbon bag lower into the chamber and WOW! The water flow is amazing now. Hopefully this is the same case for you NATS. Let me know.

Chaloupa
06-17-2008, 01:36 AM
WOOT..thats a good thing! Good to hear...but I think I will still put in a powerhead as I like a lot of flow!

RSM
06-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I think i will add one as well later on.

Brent F
06-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Many people running the RSM as a reef tank leave out the carbon and ceramic bags. They restrict flow and trap detrius

RSM
06-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Really, so all they have is a sponge? I thought it is beneficial to have both carbon and ceramic for a filter? I can see how it restricts flow as it has happened to me but all is fixed now with both bags inside.

Brent F
06-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Yes, and on the older tanks (more than 6 months old) people cut the black sponge in half and leave out the white sponge.

If you have live rock in the display you don't need the ceramics in the back.

RSM
06-17-2008, 03:36 AM
That makes a lot of sense.I do have 24lbs of live rock in my display. I guess i dont need the ceramics. Thanks for your help.

ElGuappo
06-17-2008, 06:00 AM
it only took me 2 monthes to stop using the top filter layer.

Anyone having issues with theirs? my poserbar the skimmer plug stoped working. i have to plug it into the wall.

nats
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Glad to hear it was just a mix up with the boxes. Good thing you asked. If it had been me I would still be trying to put it together.:biggrin: While we are the subject of the redsea max. Can anyone tell me if my skimmer is working. I have 35lbs of live rock in the display, I took out the carbon and ceramic bags from the chamber and the white sponge. I find that the bubbles are not travelling up the skimmer neck, thus no skim goo. I turned the air valve to 3/4 open. My water has lots of bits floating around. Any suggestions
thanks

RSM
06-19-2008, 05:27 AM
It has taken my skimmer 3 weeks to produce a constant foam. I believe it has to be broken in for awhile if it is new. I have also heard if your tank is clean it wont skim as well because it has nothing to clean.

Chaloupa
06-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Mine is now up and running and starting a cycle (hoping for a quick one!) with rock and water from other tanks and live sand. I am dealing with a TON of microbubbles which is aggravating but will keep trying different things. I did remove the white sponge, and cut the black one down....will see how things settle in....any suggestions?

ElGuappo
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Mine is now up and running and starting a cycle (hoping for a quick one!) with rock and water from other tanks and live sand. I am dealing with a TON of microbubbles which is aggravating but will keep trying different things. I did remove the white sponge, and cut the black one down....will see how things settle in....any suggestions?

try to squish the air out of the black sponge when inserting. i usually try to squeeze it against the bottom of the sump. it will hold lots of air. if this sponge is not totally soaked it will trap air.

Brent F
06-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Here is Red Sea's sheet for how to fix microbubble problems

http://www.rsmreefers.com/downloads/MAX%20microbubble%20diagnostic%20CUSTOMER.pdf

nats
06-24-2008, 03:00 AM
make sure the overflow trap is all the way down, get rid of the white sponge and keep the media chamber empty.

phillyreefer
07-18-2008, 07:29 PM
is anyone using carbon or not?

my RSM is now 6 months old and all is well.....should i take the carbon out and not use one ever again?

ElGuappo
07-18-2008, 07:46 PM
mine is creeping up on ayear. i have taken my carbon out and run it for a week at a time for getting rid of the yellow color in the water once in a while.

i replaced my bio media with lr rubble and cut the black sponge in half (white filter gone long ago) and run the carbon atop that.

Edit: i use procarb lab quality activated cabon when i do use it. i just use a aquaclear 70 bag for it.

Reefhawk1
07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Do you have any pics yet?