PDA

View Full Version : 29 biocube

ruvakay
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I have two 29 Oceanic BioCubes with mostly coral and a few fish. Lots of snails too. Someone had mentioned that the bio-balls should be removed. If I do this what should I put in there? There has to be something in there. If anybody knows a better way to set these up, I would be glad to hear it. I have lost several fish but the coral seems to do ok. Is it possible to change the lighting in these things too?
Thanks for your input.

Drock169
06-16-2008, 12:30 AM
nanocustoms.com for modding.
second chamber is good for filling with Live rock rumble

motokorth
06-16-2008, 02:51 AM
If you do remove your bio balls, do it slowly and not all at once.

justinl
06-16-2008, 03:53 AM
yes it would be best to ultimately replace the bioballs with LR rubble over time... preferably a few weeks. maybe a third a week? I like to use pieces of rubble that are arguably golf ball size. make sure you remove the false bottom of the second chamber so there's more space for rubble.

there's a few other simple mods that can be done to improve the saltwater function of the BC.
1st chamber:I removed the stupid carbon filter stock pad and replaced it with a sock full of carbon (easier and cheaper to refill with carbon). I also stick a visitherm stealth heater in there. WIDEN the gap between chamber 1 and 2... do not make it deeper. I used a pair of wire cutters.
2nd: remove false bottom and fill with rubble as above. the bottom piece might stick a little; I had to use a bent coat hanger to get it out.
3rd:replace stock pump with a maxi-jet pump... can't remember which one would be appropriate for a 29g BC.
I also took out the stock flow difuser and tuck in a y-piece and loc line to split the flow. you can vary this piece however you like. I like having one with a narrow diffuser to stir up the surface and the other end pointed at the front of the tank.
unfortunately I can't think of any simple or cheap mods for lighting. nanocustoms and nano-reef.com should have a lot of good ideas though.