PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of ich

Mik_101
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
As the tittle says. I tryed garlic so far but its not doing anything. I cont want to set up a a quarinteine tank for them and obvesly dnt want to use copper in my reef. To scared to do a fresh water dip . Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sushiman
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm not much for "miracle in a bottle" but I had good results twice with this: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=plb-medic1

Sushiman
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
keep up the vit. enriched grub (i.e.: Selcon) & remember to stick with the entire treatment to fully nuke the greeblies out of your system.

Mik_101
06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
i was looking at that erlier today i think thats what im gonna end up using if it dosen work out im just gonna keep my sps crals.

naesco
06-17-2008, 02:08 AM
As the tittle says. I tryed garlic so far but its not doing anything. I cont want to set up a a quarinteine tank for them and obvesly dnt want to use copper in my reef. To scared to do a fresh water dip . Any suggestions would be helpful.

If you have been feeding your fish with only garlic extract soaked foods for weeks and,
you think the condition of the fish is only getting worse, immediately remove all the fish from your tank. Some strains of ich seem not to respond to garlic.

If you do nothing the fish will die one by one.
If you choose not to set up a QT, PM me.

Brent F
06-17-2008, 02:24 AM
You can also try cleaner shrimp and to run a UV sterilizer for a while.

Mik_101
06-17-2008, 07:02 AM
got polyp medic medication we will see how it turns out. Thanks for the help guys.

Stab_Master_Arson
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I feel your pain OP. I have lost a few fish to this infection. Try that polyplab quasi-placebo first, it cured my clarkii but not my Raccoon butterfly. I really have no faith in "fish medicine". Treating fish "medically" seems like a bunch of guess work and hocus pocus. It is like dumping garlic butter on people that contract a violent skin rash. Probability suggests that some people will survive, so look, IT WORKS!!!! Nobody pumps billions into fish pharmaceutical research so we have to contend with snake oil and empty promises from various peddlers offering "instant cures" and quote/unquote satisfaction. Sorry for the negativity but I am just trying to forewarn you not to put much "hope" into fish drugs, but give them a try regardless. People do still have some success with them. Your best bet would be to quarantine the fish and use the proper dosage of special treatment like that one from polyplab and pray for the best. Remember, the first step against an aquarium infection pandemic is containment (as with US Bio hazard Response Protocol) and it might seem like a hassle but it will be better for every fish involved.

Floop70
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Just saw this thread... how did you make out with your ick? Did that medication help at all?

I had an ick outbreak several months ago. I gave all my fish a freshwater dip and then added a UV sterilizer. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Stab_Master_Arson
08-06-2008, 03:19 AM
The UV light will probably do the job. I wouldnt run it for long though.

Doo
08-10-2008, 12:01 AM
so when you fresh water dip - how long do you do it for and what should the conditions of the fresh water be??

Floop70
08-10-2008, 01:02 AM
I used RO water that was the same temp as my tank and left the fish in for just a few minutes (under 5). IIRC the fish freaked out a little at first but settled very quickly after that. I was told if they started laying down on their sides that I was to take them out right away - but mine didn't do that anyway.

Doo
08-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Is this a one time deal or does one repeat the process?

Floop70
08-10-2008, 03:46 AM
For me it was a one time deal, but done in conjunction with the UV sterilizer.

Doo
08-10-2008, 11:42 PM
thank you for the info!

any one else do it just once or more than once???

EmilyB
08-11-2008, 12:43 AM
The water should be the same pH and temp as the tank water. This means RO is not a good idea unless adjusted for pH.

I used to use the water from my FW tanks back in the day when I did this.

Doo
08-11-2008, 01:03 AM
you do this once or more and if so how often for how long?
what are the signs that the fish has recovered and after the fish looks clean is it ready to be moved back into the main tank or is there an isolation period?
does temperature bring this on or factor in at any stage of this healing process, basically does heat make fish more susceptible to ich or does heat in the QT tank better to get rid of the ich?

EmilyB
08-11-2008, 06:04 AM
I used it for some large wild caught clownfish. It's not something I would do anymore really.

You can't just FW bath and put them back in the tank, or they are immediately reinfected.

Hyposalinity in quarantine is the way to treat fish if your tank hasn't been years established.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html

Tough to do, you need a very accurate refractometer.