PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer mesh mod !!! MUST HAVE!

Oceanic
06-13-2008, 09:51 PM
This is a MUST HAVE modification for anyone with a higher end skimmer with a needle wheel type pump.

I just recently took apart my Sedra pump on my Euro Reef 8-3 skimmer and modded the needle wheel with the Enkamat #4 material. I am sure some of you know what I am talking about. I cut of all of the "pins" off the needle wheel and then modified the wheel a little further to accept three layers of the Enkamat.

I was already very happy with the skimmer performance; however, I cannot believe this is the same skimmer now!! WOW! I had to lower the level in the skimmer so it would not fill up with crap so quickly! I can get a full cup of crud in two days from this bad boy.

I HIGHLY recommend that you try this with your skimmer if possible. Feel free to PM me for some pointers of doing this in under 30 mins with only a couple of tools.

Cheers!!

Oceanic

WuHT
06-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Did u have a killowatt meter ?

Oceanic
06-16-2008, 05:02 AM
Did u have a killowatt meter ?

I don't have one but should probly get one, I also need an airflow meter.:mrgreen:

Tom R
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I just recently took apart my Sedra pump on my Euro Reef 8-3 skimmer and modded the needle wheel with the Enkamat #4 material. I am sure some of you know what I am talking about. I cut of all of the "pins" off the needle wheel and then modified the wheel a little further to accept three layers of the Enkamat.

I HIGHLY recommend that you try this with your skimmer if possible. Feel free to PM me for some pointers of doing this in under 30 mins with only a couple of tools.

Cheers!!

Oceanic

Do you have any pictures of a finished modified needle wheel? How dis you fasten the material to the wheel?

Tom R

Delphinus
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
:mrgreen: FWIW, here's a thread with some pictures if it helps any:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32196

I totally agree that this mod is worthwhile. I do get one sort of "hmmmmm" moment and that's when I have to restart the pump (say, power failure or whatever). Sometimes (most times) it starts up like a breeze, other times I can pretty much do a rain dance and it won't make a difference. On off on off on off bump bump bump come on, start!! on off on off (blow into air intake) on off (blow some more) COME ON!!! START!!! on off on off (Wife asks why you are swearing) on off on off pound pound poof! starts... Not really sure why it's sometimes so finicky..

Brent F
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Where do you get Enkamat PF4 mesh material?

Delphinus
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a little bit left, enough to do one at least one mod... PM me if you're interested..

You can order a roll (2 yards) of it from aquaticeco.com for about $30, by the time shipping et al in place it's about $50ish IIRC (this is where I got mine, I just sold off pieces of it to whoever would ask for some, that's how I ended up with very little left!!) http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3107/Enkamat-Nylon/pf4/0

Delphinus
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, if you order from aquaticeco.com be sure to ask for USPS, they default to UPS. Unless it's universal that brokerage fees are down but somehow I doubt it. It would suck to pay $50 brokerage on some PF4.