PDA

View Full Version : Blue Vet Flatworm Control

fkshiu
06-13-2008, 04:41 AM
I had a pretty bad red planaria outbreak recently. They weren't the nasty kind such as AEFWs, but it was pretty unsightly nonetheless. However, with the demise of Salifert's Flatworm Exit in Canada because of some bureaucratic BS there wasn't much I could do aside from cursing at my useless six-line and yellow coris wrasses as they chowed down on mysis instead of flatworms.

So I picked this up at OA:
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/3127/Blue-Vet-Flatworm-Control-7ml/

After siphoning out as many of the little buggers as I could I added the recommended 4 drops/10 gallons and waited, but nothing happened. It wasn't until I got to around 6 drops/10 gallons that I started to see results after about half an hour of waiting. The tank filled with dead planaria. I did the required 25% WC and after a few days I haven't seen any flatworms (fingers crossed!).

Casualties? My red millepora began bleaching, but has begun to regain some of its colour, and my little blue neon goby has gone AWOL. However, I can't directly attribute this to the medication as I re-did about half the rockwork at the same time.

All in all this stuff seems to work as advertised although you may have to overdose a bit and be patient.

Chin_Lee
06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
on OA's website it recommends 2 drops per gallon. is it different on the box? and so did you have to triple to dosage then?

fkshiu
06-15-2008, 06:46 PM
The "2 drops per gallon" dosage is erroneous. Marine Depot in the US received a number of complaints from customers indicating the product was not working. The manufacturer changed the dosage level up to 4-drops per 10 gallons:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:b2elKGK3FBkJ:www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~BL2181.html+marine+depot+blu e+vet+flatworm&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Note that this is the cached version of the page. Looks like Marine Depot has pulled the product probably because of those complaints.

Interestingly, the box that it came in says "4 drops", but the bottle itself says "2 drops". Regardless, from my experience the dosage should be "at least 4 drops per 10 gallons".

kwirky
06-24-2008, 09:03 PM
sounds like the triple dosages people used with flatworm exit in order for it to work well.