PDA

View Full Version : Hello and help identifying

Fidzero
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Well i have read these boards for about 6 months after i found out about them. You guys and gals are always very informative so i though some of you may be able to help me iding a couple of things in my tank. The two pictures called cc1 and cc2 are pictures of a candy coral i recently bought only to find when i got home that it had what looked to be aptasia on it, im wondering if it actually is aptasia or possibly something else? For now i have quarantined the candy coral. The other picture is of i crab i know its not a great one but honestly its the best i could get there are two of these guys which look like emerald crabs but are black in color. They like in a poros rock i have in my tank and rarley venture out. They seam to be reef, fish and invert safe as ive seen them with a pepermint shrimp just centimeters away and they didn't bother him at all but if anyone could get an id on these guys it would be much appriciated.

Murminator
06-11-2008, 07:50 PM
The 1st pics look like hydroids the crab well....rogue crabs are not always good catch him if you can

Fidzero
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I know there not always good catching him/them is easier said than done ive tried on multiple occasions if anyone has a good way to catch them please let me know. The hydroids pest? or should i not worry about them?

Fidzero
06-12-2008, 05:19 AM
So were agreeded these are hydroids and they pose no problem to the rest of my aquarium or should i take some course of action?

christyf5
06-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Yup hydroids. In this case there isn't much you can do as they are growing on the candy cane tissue. Perhaps get in there with some tweezers and remove them manually. They will spread and encroach any surrounding corals. I started with a small patch on the rock and they are now attempting to outcompete my zoos and have an acropora surrounded. I haven't figured out a way to kill them yet but it seems every once in awhile my tuxedo urchin makes a pass over them and clears a bit of them off.

Drock169
06-12-2008, 07:03 AM
the crab maybe a decorator crab, bottle trap is probably the best method to catch crabs.

vanreefer
06-16-2008, 10:51 PM
the crab maybe a decorator crab, bottle trap is probably the best method to catch crabs.

...or a sleazy bar...

Zoaelite
06-16-2008, 11:18 PM
...or a sleazy bar...

LOL!:lol: Thank you that made my day.
Levi