PDA

View Full Version : Another New Pet Superstore in Richmond, BC

Samw
03-22-2003, 05:23 AM
Super Pet just opened on #3 Rd for those who like to go on Local Pet Shop tours. Nice store. Their marine section isn't fully stocked yet but there is a decent number of tanks reserved (cycling) for marine fish for that type of store.

BCOrchidGuy
03-22-2003, 05:39 AM
I've been on #3 Rd... nuff said... yuck

being a bus driver I get to experience something like #3 road for hours at a time, when I got out of training I swore I wouldn't drive in Richmond again, so far I haven't had to....

trilinearmipmap
03-22-2003, 05:43 AM
It was a nice large store. I bought 2 fancy goldfish there.

The store staff didn't have much of a clue except for one girl who was in charge of helping them set up.

It looks like with them being just down the road from Big Al's, it would be easy to negotiate a good price on tanks, stands etc. by just playing off one store against the other.

Anyway with all these fish stores in one area somebody will have to fold, it will be a battle of attrition until one store packs it in.

titus
03-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Hello,

It looks like with them being just down the road from Big Al's, it would be easy to negotiate a good price on tanks, stands etc. by just playing off one store against the other.

Anyway with all these fish stores in one area somebody will have to fold, it will be a battle of attrition until one store packs it in.

Um... this makes me wonder why shoppers tend to not shop between say clothing retailers as much as shopping for their hobby equipment or animals.

With the markup we have in most of the equipment (that I know), and live stock (that I don't know but I doubt it is high anyway considering all the expense, maintenance, time), it's difficult to keep us in business compared to shopping at Harry Rosen for a $125 Genuine :rolleyes: Harry Rosen belt, which probably has 700% markup on it.

Titus

trilinearmipmap
03-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Agreed, Titus, but that is the way business is.

No one is going to bargain over a $50.00 item, but if I am buying a $1500.00 tank and stand I am going to shop around. In fact for any item over a couple of hundred dollars I bargain with the retailer (whether it is fish stuff, household appliances or whatever). Obviously this is going to cut aquarium retailers' margins pretty thin. I wouldn't want to be in that business.

As far as I can see between the huge (internet) mail order chains and the pet superstores, ordinary retailers are gonna get squeezed. Especially when advanced/knowledgeable hobbyists are fully aware they can buy online for a fraction of the retail price.

Anyway that is the capitalist system and for better or worse, we are stuck with it.