PDA

View Full Version : Need the gigantea experst opinions:) Video included.

Monti-Man
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay after seeing everyones flow for there gigantea's i am now not sure if i have enough. Although he had more yesterday and then moved back on the rock so there is now a little less.
So i guess the question is do i adjust the flow again for where he is or leave it.

In the video the first minute or so is when i forgot to turn one of the vortechs back on. The min afterwards is with full flow.

Please give me your thoughts.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k208/hansonfam_2006/th_gigantea.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k208/hansonfam_2006/?action=view&current=gigantea.flv)

Der_Iron_Chef
06-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Wow, it's definitely bigger than mine (insert inappropriate joke here)! But a beauty. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to be getting some decent flow. Not violent, per se, but consistently strong.

Just wanted to mostly say, nice anemone twin :) Your clown sure is lovin' it.

Monti-Man
06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Wow, it's definitely bigger than mine (insert inappropriate joke here)!
Just wanted to mostly say, nice anemone twin :) Your clown sure is lovin' it.

I will refrain from even going there...lol

Yes the clown is in heaven. Gotta get her a boyfriend one of these days.
We'll its funny cause you see some of those threads on RC and it looks like i have got nothing for it.My daughter did the video this morning and sent it to me and all in all it looks happy but i am no pro either. I want to like you Drew make sure it is getting what it needs:)

Delphinus
06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Flow looks fine to me. :)

Here's my take on the flow issue. These anemones are from shallow water so they are typically accustomed to higher flow and higher light than some other species might be.

There is definitely a question of minimum flow, but the way I think of it is, what's more important is that surface agitation for O2/CO2 exchange and then adequate mixing/dispersal throughout the whole water column. Secondly, there needs to be enough flow so that any slime or detritus cannot build up on the tissue - it needs to be blown off. This will work to prevent an opportunistic bacterial infection. Beyond that, observing the anemone and using our intuitions to make further adjustments is likely good enough. I don't think it's truly necessary to have a hot tub type tornado-in-a-tank effect going on, even if there may be specimens out there that are in those conditions it doesn't mean they all have to be. Just try to use your common sense, imagine the part of the reef they come from, and see what you can arrange for.

Ie., so there should be plenty of flow, but we don't have to stress too hard over whether its called for or not to be constantly giving it more. As long as the requirements are met about O2 and slime, just watch the anemone and see how it reacts. Slowly ramping it up is probably better too, over a sudden significant change that shocks it.

Is it eating yet?

It is so great to see these anemones BTW. :) Good luck with them all to everyone who was lucky enough to score one!!

Monti-Man
06-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Okay we'll i will chill out abit. Yes it is eating wonderfully now and is much stickier than it was when i first got it. I guess i kind of looked at the flow this way. They will move to where things are appropriate for them. And he did move back abit not alot but a bit.

Yes there is definetly enough that nothing has a chance to settle on it. But not enough to be pounding it the way some are shown in videos. So yes at the moment i think it is happy. Mouth closed,firmly attached,eating we'll and only semi deflating about a day after i feed it to expelll waste. So right now i would say it must be okay. We still have a few long months to go before i feel we are in the clear but hopefully all will be good.

Thanks