PDA

View Full Version : Common sump, how to pump water??

banditpowdercoat
06-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Ok, I am toying with the idea of making a Puffer tank for the wife. If I do this, it would be on the other side of the living room. I would like to have a common sump, because I feel it would really benifit both tanks. present sump is only 10g. Now, how would I transfer water from my present tank, to the new sump across the LR, and back? 2 pumps? if so, how to you match flow? I think it would be way to far for gravity feed. 30' approx, and 2' height change.

fencer
06-10-2008, 03:54 AM
I use 2 pumps that are the one is a mag 5 and the other a mag 12. The mag 12 is used to supply both tanks and the mag 5 is used to aid in return to the sump. I have ball valves regulating the flow to the smaller tank. I think gate valve would be better though.

sphelps
06-10-2008, 04:10 AM
First off, you need an overflow in the tank, you can't use two pumps in the manner I believed you've described. One of the flows must be Dependant on the other.

Also Can a 10 gallon handle both tanks? Sounds a little small, can it handle the back flow?

mark
06-10-2008, 05:01 AM
Both displays with overflows with a single return pump on a manifold feeding both tanks drawning from a single sump.

Sphelps has a good point though about the volume the 10g can handle in the event of a power outage (volume in the return lines, whatever size of sump needs to be considered).

banditpowdercoat
06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
NO, no, I want to up the sump size from the 10G to 60+. I have an overflow in the present tank.

Are you saying run from the overflow, around the livingroom, and dump into the new sump? Present tank is on one side of living room, and would like larger new tank and common sump on the other. Im worried to much friction loss in the 35' of 1" pipe??? Acctyually have 3/4" bulkhead on bottom of present tank, in overflow

mark
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Any way does seem like a lot of trouble, what benefits you thinking?

banditpowdercoat
06-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Cause I dont have squat for room under my 45g. a 10g sump is cramped

sphelps
06-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Head Loss Calculator (http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php)

banditpowdercoat
06-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Hmm Might not be as bad as I thought. Im not concerned about the Pump loss from Sump to tank, but the loss from tank to sump. Doesnt look like it will be that much really.

chevyjaxon
06-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Red flag puffers? 65 gallon? how long do you want to keep these things they will soon outgrow a tank that size its easier to start a whole new setup:smile:

banditpowdercoat
06-11-2008, 12:54 PM
No not Puffers in my 45g, I want a NEW TANK.with common sump with EXISTING TANK. new tank would more than likely be 120+g

Boomboy
06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
seems like to much hassle for the keeping it seperate, if they were side by side it would be a different story, way easier and could have bigger sump too( run the whole length of both tanks. but i would do this considering the hassle , and not much benefit to it other than one sump, which doesnt really seem like a bonus if you think about it, because one sump means one system, which means one tank goes down so does the other( as in toxins or anything that you might get)

banditpowdercoat
06-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Ya true. The present one is a 45g corner tank, and I will NEVER do another corner SW tank. Just no room underneithe for anything of substance. Put a sump, skimmer, now adding 2 Phos reactors. Damn. it soo cramped have to pull head out to change mind...

Boomboy
06-13-2008, 03:53 AM
so youve changed your mind good, i think to much hassle just get to sump, you'll have to do 2 seperate water changes but it will be worth it. exceptially if one is FOWLR and the other a reef. less expensive equipment needed.

banditpowdercoat
06-13-2008, 05:02 AM
No, havnt changed mind, and neither are Fowlr any more. Ive succumbed to the coral LOL.