PDA

View Full Version : Dead Hermit in Nano, Red-eyed Crab the culprit?

Dresden
03-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Looks pulled from its shell and back half bitten off. I figured the Hermits were safe in here cause they can retreat pretty far into the shell. Unless it had to do with the sand(silicate) which i added a small amount to. Suggestions? Red-eyed maroon crab about 1" across

Aquattro
03-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Dresden, red eyed crabs have been blamed for this type of activity. I wouldn't be surprised.

Dresden
03-21-2003, 11:34 PM
ok snails and hermits will be moved, thanx

Nullig
03-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Are you sure it isn't just a molt?

I was sure one of my hermits had become a meal, until I did a body count and discovered they were all still alive... it was just a molt.

Noel

Aquattro
03-22-2003, 12:52 AM
I assumed the shell was beside it, empty. If that isn't the case, it's probably a moult.

BCOrchidGuy
03-22-2003, 03:39 PM
I've found the same thing but I did get rid of all my blue legged hermit crabs, herbivores my butt... they eat my Montipora digitata polyps ALL THE TIME.... I had 25 of the little beggers and I would get rid of one and another would start eating the Monti... by the time I caught them all my Monti was pretty bare but it has recovered nicely now.

Bob I
03-24-2003, 07:56 PM
I've found the same thing but I did get rid of all my blue legged hermit crabs, herbivores my butt... they eat my Montipora digitata polyps ALL THE TIME.... I had 25 of the little beggers and I would get rid of one and another would start eating the Monti... by the time I caught them all my Monti was pretty bare but it has recovered nicely now.

That is true, I have about six of them, but they are confined to my nano. If I ever put anything important in there, the crabs will be summarily disposed of. When they are not damaging things, they occupy their time trying to drag each other out of their shells. Yet they come recommended by J&L :eating:

BCOrchidGuy
03-25-2003, 03:04 AM
I've yet to see anything in print that supports either of our stand on them, Everything I've seen says they are strictly herbivores. Crabs is crabs.. not all (many) are reef safe... that being said... lots of people don't have trouble with them... gotta wonder why.

Canadian Man
03-25-2003, 06:03 AM
Hey Bob, unrelated question to this topic but where the heck are you getting all those little captions from that your using in your post's latley?

EmilyB
03-25-2003, 06:07 AM
I stumbled across them while looking for the green pasted smile..... :mrgreen: :lol:

Try view more emoticons....hopefully Titus will keep us surprised !! :biggrin: :cool:

Canadian Man
03-25-2003, 06:19 AM
:eggface: Hey Cool!
Look out people. Here come the emoticons! :snipersm: :grab:

Dresden
03-25-2003, 12:04 PM
ya prob was a molt but removed to be on the safe side for now