PDA

View Full Version : New Photo Contest

sphelps
06-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Hello all, I'm happy to announce that with the permission of CanReef I will be taking over the monthly POTM contest.

I'll be doing things a little different to try and spark some new life into this area of the forum and ultimately try and promote aquarium photography.

Every month I will post a theme.
All members including vendors can enter one photo. (vendors no store stock)
Members will post pictures directly in the forum, or email to me and I'll post them. This will allow everyone to see and keep up with the photos as they come in.
Requested but not required members should post info about their picture. This should include a picture title and camera specs. The camera specs will help others in many ways including which settings to use or even which camera to buy :mrgreen:
An entry deadline will be stated, and once all entries are in voting will be done, similar to before, but your user names will be proudly displayed with your photos.
The winner of each contest will receive a framed 8 x 10 photo of a collage containing his or her winning photo surrounded by all entries. A sample shown below.
In addition the occasional contest will have another special prize suited to the theme of that month.

I would like to encourage all members to participate. In addition don't scan your hard drives for entries, pull out the camera and take a new fresh picture for each contest. Only the first 20 entries can be accepted for voting, however members can continuously post pictures just for fun.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/photocontestnov07.jpg

I'm hoping to have the first contest up and running by the end of the day, so keep a look out. Feel free to send me comments, questions, concerns, theme suggestions, or anything else.

Thanks and regards,

Steven Phelps
sphelps@sasktel.net

Marlin65
06-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Cool thanks for organizing this.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Looks great!

Tom R
06-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree, we need to add some new life into Canreef.

We have an area for pictures. This forum is for posting pictures of corals, fish, tanks and equipment.

Could we expand the forums areas to include an area on Photography. I find that many of our member have taken this hobby to another level. On RC they have a forum on Photography where their members discuss what cameras and lens to buy and how to use them. This is for the machanics of taking pictures of their corals and tanks.

michika
06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Awesome! I'm really excited to see how this plays out.

sharuq1
06-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds great. You did a beautiful job on the collage in your post above. Wow!

marie
06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Hopefully this works out great, but i'm afraid I'm getting cynical in my old age.

Just for the record, the winning photo of the May POTM was taken by Marie :razz:

christyf5
06-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Could we expand the forums areas to include an area on Photography. I find that many of our member have taken this hobby to another level. On RC they have a forum on Photography where their members discuss what cameras and lens to buy and how to use them. This is for the machanics of taking pictures of their corals and tanks.

Great idea Tom, I'll set this up right away :biggrin:

cprowler
06-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Great motivation for me to take some tank shots that are long overdue since I've had my new D80 for over a month. :puppydog:

Tom R
06-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Great idea Tom, I'll set this up right away :biggrin:

Thanks Christy

Lance
06-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Sounds Good. And Congratulations Marie!

michika
07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
When should we expect new contests to go up each month?

sphelps
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes every month, I'll be starting one for July very soon. I'm a bit behind as last month started a little later than it normally would.