PDA

View Full Version : Sea hares...good or bad?

Michael
03-21-2003, 11:48 AM
I heard they were very good at eating hair algae and slim algae. (especially ddabella auricularia). But from what I have read, there is some debate as to whether they are reef safe or not.
Has anyone had them, and are they good at eating hair algae?

My tank (60 gallon, liverock, damsel, brittle star, blennie, 2 peppermint shrimp) is going through an algae bloom. I know all tanks do, but the sandbed is just getting covered in it :x . (I was about to order more snails and sandbed stirrers from SWC, but Jason went on vacation :cry:

I've siphoned out the hair algae/bubble algae, but it comes back just as fast. My blennie and brittle star don't seem to keep up with it. (I wonder if the capulara(sp) I have in the tank is adding to the problem :?: )

Any ideas/hints would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Michael
The more I read, the more I realize I need to keep reading.

Quinn
03-21-2003, 05:12 PM
very interesting animal. saw some in edmonton last weekend. from what i know the only concerns are that they could get sucked into a pump or powerhead if it's not properly covered, and that if sufficiently disturbed, they will release an ink. i'm not sure if it's toxic or not though. perhaps someone else can confirm or deny that for me.

kris
03-21-2003, 08:22 PM
If you want to learn about seahorses or pipe fish; and how to properly cair form them. A great start would be to head to www.seahorse.org

cheers!

Aquattro
03-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Michael, can I also suggest you try and find the source to your algae problems, rather than buying things to eat it. Adding an algavore is also adding more biomass to the load already present, and may serve to amplify the problem.

Samw
03-21-2003, 08:56 PM
If you want to learn about seahorses or pipe fish; and how to properly cair form them. A great start would be to head to www.seahorse.org

cheers!

That's great but seahorses don't eat hair algae. Michael is looking for info on sea hares. :)

kris
03-21-2003, 09:13 PM
:oops: i think i need to go ack and re learn how to read. ha sorry abou that.. But Sam yes its a great site. :oops:

mark
03-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I remember this http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21852&highlight=hares