PDA

View Full Version : Fish suggestions

Carmen
06-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Well, I'm trying to do some research into what type of fish I can add next to my OPEN-TOP 27G Bowfront with 35LB LR. I have now 2 ocellaris clowns, a cleaner shrimp, pompom crab, 2sand-sifter starfish, and 8 snails. Also keeping mostly softies with a couple small SPS frags. So everytime I find a fish I think would be a good choice I read they are JUMPERS or CORAL nippers. SOOOO.... I know there is a chance that all fish can jump but what are good suggestions of less likely candidates.
I love the wrasses, basslets, dwarf angels, gobies, well I've not really narrowed it down much because I am fond of MANY! Okay I do like the coral beauty, christmas wrasse, fairy wrasses, royal gramma, black cap basslet. Anyone think I could try one of those?
Also I read somewhere that the Banggai Cardinals were "red-listed" or something and should no longer be purchased by the aquarium trade - is this true?
And if most of you think jumping is very likely with most choices, what do you rig up for a cover on a bowfront???
Thanks for looking
Carmen

banditpowdercoat
06-08-2008, 04:56 AM
There is a chance that all fish can jump, but from what I have gathered, it seems the smaller fish are more prone, Gobies, Blennys, Gramma's Etc. Seems all the fish that your and my tank are sized for can jump. Can you atleast put soem eggcrate on top of your tank? or like me, had glass cut for a lid?

fishytime
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Just to suggest a few things that may be available at a lfs near you. Royal Gramma, Magenta Dottyback, PJ Cardinals, any of the Damsels:twised:, Six-Line wrasse. I had the same issue when I had my 20g going, seemed all the cool fish were jumpy or needed a 100g tank sooo....

Der_Iron_Chef
06-08-2008, 02:55 PM
People are really only discouraged from buying wild caught Banggai Cardinals, as there population in the wild is quickly dwindling due to over collection. There *are* captive bred ones available, though.

I would suggest a Bicolor Blenny or a few captive bred Cardinals :)

Carmen
06-08-2008, 11:24 PM
What I don't understand is how to put a lid/eggcrate with all of the stuff hanging on the edges?? The lights are mounted to the sides and the filter, heater and powerheads off back - where do you set the lid on??
So cardinals, dottybacks, blennies, six-line, etc are fairly safe for jumping? Or just good second fish additions?

banditpowdercoat
06-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Beauty of eggcrate, you can cut it. Notch it if you will, to fit around the stuff you have hanging on the back. I havnt seen your tank, but Im sure with some ingenuity, someting could be fashioned.

Carmen
06-09-2008, 03:28 AM
Anyone have a picture of their tank with eggcrate on it? Just wondering what it looks like??? And where do you get it? Does most of the light still get through?

banditpowdercoat
06-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Eggcrate is that white plastic square stuff on flourescent lights. alot of people have them for frag racks in tanks etc. My camera busted, so I cant take a poc of mine.

Borrowed a pic from elsewhere here on Canreef. This is eggcrate, what the frags are sitting on
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/canreef013.jpg

Der_Iron_Chef
06-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Like this:

http://seanmcg.com/blog/wp-content/images/IMG_6578.jpg

You can buy it at Rona here in Calgary.

JDigital
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Like this:

http://seanmcg.com/blog/wp-content/images/IMG_6578.jpg

You can buy it at Rona here in Calgary.

Doesn't this cut down on the light penetration:question:

Carmen
06-09-2008, 04:43 PM
wondering the same thing about light penetration??

spreerider
06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
not very much, this is the same stuff they use in building lighting fixtures and such, the light shines straight through it as the holes are fairly large. It will cut down on some light but i dont think much.

sphelps
06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
You can buy plastic mesh screen from HD, which will have a very minimal effect on light. You can also buy universal aluminum screen door frame that can be cut to any size to create a frame for the mesh.