PDA

View Full Version : Removing Aiptasia with bare hands?

ner'T'
06-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Hi,

I have Aiptasia, (I think!) on my new liverock. I don't have gloves at the moment... Will it sting me, or cause problems if I pull it off with my fingers?
Thanks!

i have crabs
06-08-2008, 03:07 AM
it wont do anything to you except make you mad when you realize thier is no way you will be able go grab one with your fingers

ner'T'
06-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Some are quite large, over 1". Is that what you mean? Or that they are too tough, or slippery?

marie
06-08-2008, 04:04 AM
They're slippery and have a tendency to disappear into a hole in the rock when threatened, not to mention even if you do manage to pull it off the rock any bits left behind will form multiple, new babies

kdpuffer
06-08-2008, 05:48 AM
From my understanding with aptasia, any little peice left behind will result in lots of replacements. I had what I suspected of being aptasia and upon closer examination there was also a large bristle worm about three inches long in the same small fragment of rock. So, to make life easy I just got rid of the rock, but from the posts iI have read, peppermint shrimp are the most readily available form of anti-aptasia there are. Not all will eat it though, so see if someone will lend you a specimen to treat the aptasia.

brizzo
06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Google Joe's Juice, it works like a charm every time. Pretty much kills on contact.

Zoaelite
06-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Google Joe's Juice, it works like a charm every time. Pretty much kills on contact.

This, hot water, lemon juice and various other products will work very well for you.
Levi

bv_reefer
06-08-2008, 06:35 PM
hot water and lemon juice didn't do anything for me, but joes juice worked like a charm. as for pulling them with you're hands there much to slippery and like marie said, if you shred them the little pieces turn into new aiptasia

Captainhemo
06-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't find that Joes Juice actually kills them, it definately seems to "knock" them back for a week or two but they always seem to slowly reappear.
Personally, I think getting something to consume them is a better sollution, just gotta find that right something :)

CLINT
06-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I would like to get some burghia nudis from coralscaping.They breed these and apparently they just demolish aptasia.Anyone in Vancouver interested in a group buy?Clint

Captainhemo
06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I would like to get some burghia nudis from coralscaping.They breed these and apparently they just demolish aptasia.Anyone in Vancouver interested in a group buy?Clint

J&L had some a while back, not sure if they still do.
One of the biggest problems with the nudis is that once they have eaten all the aptaisia, they will starve to death if they aren't moved to a location with more aptasia. Apparently, they are quite delicate when it comes to moving and aclimatizing ( so I've read)

pastout
06-21-2008, 03:26 AM
joes juice never works for me i have a terrible aiptasia outbreak right now tryed joes juice again and it just made them reproduce faster now i have a whole bunch of massive ones and hundreds of small ones. i have a friend who had the same problem and now has a copper band butterfly and now no more aiptasia at all