PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop and return configuration on 180 gal

jgoldsney
03-20-2003, 08:07 PM
I think I have finaly figured out how I want to do the return and the closed loop stuff on my 180 but I figured I would run it by all you super inteligent reef gurus :D

Ok the return is going to have a hole drilled in the center of the back of the tank that is for a 2" bulkhead
the overflow is going to be 6" x 6" x 12" I am going to have a hole drilled in the bottom of the overflow that I can use for the suction for my closed loop. there will be holes drilled for bulkheads on either side of the overflow.

For the returns and the closed loop I am going to be using mag 18 pumps and 2 SCWDs (one per pump) I know that this is oversised for gph but I discussed this with Jason at SWC and he said that it should run no problem as by the time it overcomes the head pressure it will be below the 1400 GPH max of the SCWD.

The return will also have a T off of it before the SCWD that feeds my refugium and this can be used to regulate the flow back to the main display.

for the returns on the closed loop what I would like to do is run them under the cross braces located 2ft in from each end and then use a T on each end so that each line has 2 rethrns in to the tank at the front

If required I may also put a Maxijet1200 in each back corner on a wavemaker.

Thoughts anyone?

Joel

Canadian Man
03-21-2003, 05:06 AM
All sounds reasonable for my first quick read through. I especially like the idea of having the suction for the closed loop in the bottom of the overflow. I saw this on Carpentersreef tank and I am doing this on my new 230g as well. I will just use a stand pipe for the drain to the sump and then the closed loop will be sucking in bubble free water.

Sounds good.