PDA

View Full Version : Note to self...

Der_Iron_Chef
06-06-2008, 06:22 PM
...aquascaping's a betch.

Just finished transferring everything from old tank to new tank. Geeez...never realized how hard it is...and I was only moving it 6 feet :)

brizzo
06-06-2008, 06:26 PM
How many pounds; find any surprises ?? :P

Pictures!!

Der_Iron_Chef
06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I'll get pictures :)

About 50 lbs. of live rock. Only surprises I found were about 3-4 dead frags I've lost over the years...somehow. Guess they don't do too well under fifty pounds of rock :)

Delphinus
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
<Nodding very sympathetically!>

I hate arranging rock. Does this happen to anyone or is it just me: I only make it worse. "Hmmm, this aquascaping could use a little adjustment." <Move rock over> "Hmmm no OK it's worse like this." <Move rock back to where it was> <Rock no longer fits where it used to fit> "What the ... This is worse even still!" <Move rock back to where rock was first moved to.> <Rock no longer fits there, either> <Bump another rock in the process> <That rock no longer fits where it came from> etc. etc. etc.

Brent F
06-06-2008, 07:26 PM
What bothers me is how a rock never fits the same twice. I pulled out a rock to scrub off a patch of green hair algae and couldn't get it back in the same spot again.

Drock169
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I agree with brent, but I enjoy aquascaping because its some my fiancee can put input in to.

sharuq1
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
I loathe it with an undying hatred :twised: nothing ever fits and everything falls. *grouch grouch* It's nice when it is finished, especially if it never moves.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Well, aquascaping is difficult at the best of times...but it's REALLY tough when there are corals growing all over it. Who wants to squish the corals you've been growing out for a year? Well....not me :)

Having said that, I'm fairly pleased. I was originally going for two "islands" of rock, but that didn't work out exactly. Ah well. C'est la vie!

Oscar
06-07-2008, 12:57 AM
So...It seems like the common thread here is that none of those who have posted so far secure any of their rock?

Der_Iron_Chef
06-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't. I just stack it. Haven't had any disasters.....yet :redface:

fishytime
06-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Aw cmon guy Is...aquascaping is the funnest part (for me anyway). I spent probably 8 hours doing my tank and now that its done Im like, "hm...wish the tank was 300g".
Will do aquascaping for frags or beer or cash.

Tom R
06-08-2008, 03:43 PM
What gets me is that you take particular care to move your corals out of the way to one side and yet when you have everything just about done you have a landslide that comes down where, right down on top of your corals.

Come to think of it thats how I learned to frag.

Tom R

Aquattro
06-08-2008, 04:24 PM
In my current setup, all my aquascaping was done just after adding sand, so essentially I tried to build rockwork in a tank of milk. I did it all by feel and surprisingly it came out very close to the way I wanted it.

And no, the only securing used is gravity. :)

banditpowdercoat
06-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Thats how I did it too. Then re did it, re did it again. Then 4 days later, I got wnat I have now. I only have 3 20Lb+ rocks in my tank. Imagine if I had more LOL, I'd still be rearranging