PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Question

hummer
06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
My new anemone.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/RBTA.jpg

hummer
06-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Did anyone get one and was able to put it in a stable spot without it detaching? Mine detached a few times and fell to the bottom of the glass. I put it back up and turned off the flow. Then it just moved underneath the rock in the dark and attached himself again. Should I just leave him?

christyf5
06-06-2008, 04:49 PM
:biggrin:

Pier Pressure
06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
The little one I bought came off the live rock in transport. It then promptly moved to the back of the tank where I can barely see it. On the upswing I have a carribean crab who is hosting it already! Too bad I cannot see the darn thing. It stayed on the rock where I put it for two days, then moved. Perhaps forming a relationship with the crab had something to do with it because the crab hosting/move to back of tank happened around the same time.

hummer
06-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh really? Are you just going to leave it at the back then? From my picture above, he's attached himself to the bottom of that same rock. So not very pleasing for display since it's not very visble. I'm considering flipping the rock over but he might just move again.

Pier Pressure
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Well I have only had him for a week so I think I will just let him wander around a bit, if that is what he decides to do. If it is still at the back of the tank in (say) a month I might start playing around with flow and stuff to try to get him to move.

Can be tricky, though, because I did this before to get my sebae to move and it ended up in an even worse spot. The sebae outgrew my tank so I had to sell him.

I have not direct fed the RBTA yet. Once he is in a spot where I like him, THEN I will do the direct feeding thing. Otherwise he will have to make due catching whatever he can out of the water column. I have seen him (cough) excreting so I know he is getting something, but no extra treats until he is where I want him.

I think yours looks nice where it is but if you just got him he is likely to move around somewhat on his own. They can be really stubborn to get out of a place they like!

dsaundry
06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
If he doesn't settle down he may need a different home...You can send him to me and I will put him in my tank...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lo l:

But seriously, they will go where they want until they find a happy place for them, usually where you don't want them to go. Just make sure that any intakes have foam around tham....it can be very nasty to watch one get sucked up....

hummer
06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
If he doesn't settle down he may need a different home...You can send him to me and I will put him in my tank...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lo l:

LOL...um...Lets call that Plan B. :biggrin:

I suppose I can leave him where he is. But almost no light gets down to that cave and I would not be able to feed him. I'll leave him there for a few more weeks like Pier Pressure said and see if anything happens. It's a shame to hide all that beauty.

dsaundry
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Plan B...so there is a chance...:lol::lol::lol:

Anemones are weird, you get a gorgeous anemone and it hides in the worst place. Yet aptasia and garbage anemones stick out like a sore thumb....

Pier Pressure
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I know the feeling regarding hiding all that beauty. At least you can SEE yours.

As of last night all I could see behind a rock at the back was a few tentacles with this carribean crab perched on top! Here is to hoping they move ... and soon!