PDA

View Full Version : free tank and sump-taken

sharuq1
06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
gone pending pickup--if not picked up will be avail. again

I picked up one of those tanks from the RD Petland thinking I could use it for a FW project I had in mind, but plans have changed due to an extra person moving into the house. I have up for grabs one 40g (I think) tank, with two corner overflows (drilled at the bottom), divided down the middle to make two tanks. I also have a great big sump. Looks to be about 60g?, has baffles, is drilled on the side for outside pump. Very heavy. (Won't fit under my stand.)

Though I did take these over to the car wash and spray them down once before storing them they are still very dirty and will need a major soak in vinegar (or CLR) to get all the hard water staining out.

You'll need a truck or a van to haul these, they won't fit in a car.

Monti-Man
06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
pm'd

sharuq1
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Alright monti-man, it's yours as long as you come get it :)

Monti-Man
06-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Be there Saturday.....Just sent you a pile of pm's...lol

sharuq1
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Just to be really clear, these were used by Petland. (not me) That's why so very dirty, lol.

Railskinner
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
99% of those tanks where from there display area that they had setup in the store. I would say the tanks are toast, this is the reason they got rid of them & thru them out.Better check them out close as they might need resealing, most bulkheads where cut off and are useless because glued.Might be able to salvage glass maybe , tis it worth the trouble? They used the tanks for 10-15 years at the store.Might be able to use these as a reptile tank maybe. Water i don't know.

sharuq1
06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't know, but it's up to the person who picks them up to decide how useful it is to them. I just personally hate to see something get tossed when someone might be able to make something out of it. :smile:

fishytime
06-11-2008, 01:19 AM
My concern would be what he intends to use the tank for, the PL tank may have been medicated with copper at some point.

sharuq1
06-11-2008, 02:15 AM
I had thought about the same thing fishytime, which is why I was going to use it for a freshie breeder project. On the other hand, if it was cleaned really well (all hard water stains out, and maybe even a bleaching too) and the calcium all out of it, then re-filled with water it could be tested for Copper just to make sure there isn't any.

I did this with my 120g as well as with one of my shrimp tanks that had been previously copper treated once upon a time and tested at no copper. The shrimp tank has had shrimp in it and they did not die (good sign). 120g is of course empty but I have my fingers crossed (and toes! :lol:) and it should be fine at Cu=0

I know it sounds crazy but I have used CLR to clean a really nasty tank and it works! I rinsed the you-know-what out of it with water after, then a vinegar rinse, then another water rinse/soak/rinse and the tank has had freshies in it for the last year or so with no noticeable effects. Not sure how I would feel about testing that on salt (I am not that brave), but something to think about anyway.

chevyjaxon
06-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Jacks fish pond store (older fish guys in edmonton will know who im talking about) used to use bleach for cleaning tanks he taught me this before he closed up shop and left the fish buisness ive always used bleach to sterilize my tanks never had any problems:lol:

Keri
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Yup, you can always rinse the bejebus out of bleach and if you're still concerned put a whack of dechlorinator in there. :)