PDA

View Full Version : Tank Design

Parker
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey All,

I'm working on the design for the tank that will replace my cracked 265. Here's what I have so far.

Comments, concerns, suggestions?

84x24x40 High
Euro Braced or Staggered Bracing
Starefire Front and Side ( Negotiable if the price gets to high )
Dual Over Flows
2" Drain and 1.5" Drain in each over flow ( All holes to be used for drains ) each 2" hole will be a herbie drain and each 1.5" hole will be emergency drains
Four 1.5" holes drilled in the bottom payne for closed loop return
Two 2" holes drilled for closed loop intakes
Two 1" holes drilled in the back for sump return.

fencer
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
you could make starfire on one side only to offset cost. You should double check the glass thickness requirement for your tank size

Joe Reefer
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
40" high might be too much. Your going to have to put your face in the water to reach the bottom. On second thought if your going to go that tall I would make it 48". :mrgreen:

ponokareefer
06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
40" high might be too much. Your going to have to put your face in the water to reach the bottom. On second thought if your going to go that tall I would make it 48". :mrgreen:

I'd have to agree that 40" is going to be really high to do anything around the bottom. If you do go to 48", you may as well get your snorkel mask on every time you have to fiddle with stuff around the bottom of the tank.

Parker
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM

I did think about the 40".. Part of it has to do with the wife factor. She hates the look of the 30" deep tank, too short for her and she doesn't care how hard it is for me to maintain! lol

The bottom of the tank will be recessed so cleaning around the bottom of the glass won't be an issue as long as I keep up with the mag-float. The problem will be reaching for corals etc. Sheesh.. sounds like I'm trying to justify it to myself! lol

Parker
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
My wife saw this photo while I was looking for tall tanks and said this is what she wants.. so I'm trying to make it work

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/Tank%20Build/TallTank.jpg

Pokloec, I hope you don't mind me using the photo of your old tank.

Zoaelite
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
My wife saw this photo while I was looking for tall tanks and said this is what she wants.. so I'm trying to make it work

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/Tank%20Build/TallTank.jpg

Pokloec, I hope you don't mind me using the photo of your old tank.

Arek had an amazing set up, the only problem was again due to the height it was almost impossible to get stuff off the bottom of the tank. He sat there trying to get a peice of liverock and it took him probably for 15 mins with the "Grabbers" that he had.

banditpowdercoat
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Man, that is one sweet tank setup. I love inwalls

Parker
06-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Does anyone think the reward would be worth the pain?

Phanman
06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
too short as in she doesnt like the look of it or too short as in she is a tall women and doesnt like to hunch over?

if its the ladder you could always get a taller stand. Which would make it easier for maintaining the sump.

sharuq1
06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Are you sure you want to drill in the bottom pane of the glass instead of the back?

mark
06-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Some ideas here (http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15) for hole placement and a 44T (http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=860)

Parker
06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
too short as in she doesnt like the look of it or too short as in she is a tall women and doesnt like to hunch over?

if its the ladder you could always get a taller stand. Which would make it easier for maintaining the sump.

She doesn't like the look of it.. I think it's a matter of preportions, tall book cases squat tank etc.

Parker
06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Some ideas here (http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15) for hole placement and a 44T (http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=860)

Holy Mother of all that is right with this world, is that a nice tank!

untamed
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Geez, that is an impressive tank. I love that orange plumbing! hee..hee...

Back to topic at hand...I don't think you need 2" drains for your primary Herbies in each box. If your emergency drains are 1.5", then that is all you need for the primary drains as well.

1.5" will save you money on the gate valves you'll need. Plus, you don't ever want the situation where the primary drains (2") are carrying MORE water than the emergencies (1.5") could handle.

Kronk
06-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Two 2" holes drilled for closed loop intakes depending on your pumps you would have to reduce those a ton.

Instead of a really tall tank ever think of stacking two inwall? if you do the spacing carefully and run some thick braces under the top one for safety it would look sweet.

Parker
06-06-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm running darts for the closed loop they have two inch intakes... IF I go with the tall tank I don't think one dart would be enough. I have more then one so I may put them to use. One return, and two closed loops.. one for the top of the tank one for the bottom

Stacking tanks wouldn't be an option in my situation.

albert_dao
06-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Don't do it man!!! I once maintained a 42" tall tank and it was A NIGHTMARE!

Red Coral Aquariums
06-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Don't do it man!!! I once maintained a 42" tall tank and it was A NIGHTMARE!

Albert I think I am maintaining that tank now. Big time pain to clean the glass next to the sand. I'm happy its not a bare bottom. 36" would be the highest in my opinion. 40" high would need some thick glass.
Kevin

Parker
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Right now, if I stand flat on the floor I can put my arm over the top of the tank and down into it. Maintaining the 30" wouldn't be bad, I understand that the 40" would be quite a bit taller. Cleaning the bottom might not be a big deal. The tank would be recessed into the stand almost 3" with the sand bed below the top of the counter.. That gives me 37" above the counter top.

For those that haven't seen a picture, this is what I am replacing, I kind of agree with my wife, the tank does look a little squat in there.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/Tank%20Build/IMG_1990.jpg

mark
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
What are you doing for a hood?

Can see having a straight really tall hood (level with the top of the shelfs) just looking bulky but could you fill the height with shelfs or insets above the lights?

Parker
06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
What are you doing for a hood?

Can see having a straight really tall hood (level with the top of the shelfs) just looking bulky but could you fill the height with shelfs or insets above the lights?

The riser and crown molding for the top of the book shelves still needs to be installed. I was going to build the canopy to match, riser and crown. Right now in the picture the doors on the corner cabinets are missing. When the corners got ordered they were a bit too tall, they had to cut them down. So now I have the two doors from the original hight. They are going to make perfect doors for the canopy 12" high and 36" long. They will open upwards toward the ceiling. I was going to make the canopy removable of course but the doors would be for every day chores, feeding etc.

I guess I'll just sit here and think about it! lol

TJSlayer
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah but depending on light and how deep it is it will probably look fine....

But hey it's your stuff and money set it up how you like or it will bug you...

:)

Looking really nice so far.

TJ

bassman
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Have you played around with your picture using Paint or some photo shop to try and give yourself some better ideas of how it will look?

If you have a straight on picture of your wall unit it is very easy to stretch the tank in the image. Might help you envision things.

I personally would make the tank as high as it needs to be to reach the bottom of the last shelf. The door(s) over the tank would be the same height as the last shelf space. Even that isn't going to leave you much room to get your body above the tank to get yours arms inside. With your lights in the way it's going to be even worse.

You may want to consider putting your lights on some kind of track system so you can slide them out into the room, opening up the entire top of your tank for access. Even some heavy duty drawer slides would work. Or if you have room in your ceiling you could have a lift system that would retract the lights up, out of the way.

As far as balancing the tank to the cabinets aesthetically it may be hard to do without making your tank longer as well as taller. I am picturing your tank being about 4' longer and once again up to the last shelf. I think the cabinets are making the tank look small.

Just my 2 cents.

JDigital
06-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Something like this... up to the bottom shelf... bad photoshop, but gives you an idea..

bassman
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Something like this... up to the bottom shelf... bad photoshop, but gives you an idea..

Good job! That is exactly what I was talking about.

Parker
06-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Hey thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's hight we are going to take it to. About 35/36" high. Now I'm just waiting for quotes to come in.

bassman
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
What type of lighting are going to go with?

Parker
06-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I'll be using 3ea 400w HQI

bassman
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll be using 3ea 400w HQI

Same, only I am just going to use two.