PDA

View Full Version : Moon Lights

RSM
06-04-2008, 06:00 PM
A question about moon lights...do you leave them on all night to mimic the moon? Or should I have the tank in complete darkness for a few hours? Im not sure.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Up to you, I think.

Midknight
06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Mine stay on all night.
If I could do it there was a moon phase box.
If increased the intensity of the lights from 0 to 100% depending on the moon it's self.
This guy had then at one time.

www.thelebos.com but I can not seem to locat them anymore.

RSM
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks i think i will keep mine on all night because it looks cool and has a purpose.

Brent F
06-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Mine are on all night because my fuxture has a built in timer for the daytime lights. The timer and moonlights are wired in together so I can't turn off the moonlights without stopping the main timer.

RSM
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Thats how my timer is wired too except i can turn the moon lights on or off with out effecting the timer.

Alberta-newb
06-04-2008, 07:57 PM
If you like gadgets, I found this one that alters the intensity based on the lunar cycle. I might pick one of these up once I actually have life in my tank:biggrin:

http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/moonComputer

Francis

Brent F
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Thats how my timer is wired too except i can turn the moon lights on or off with out effecting the timer.

Do you have to flip a switch or can you put the moonlights on a timer?

My Red Sea Max has a switch for the moonlights but it is impossible to put it on a timer without rewiring the hood and I'm not manually turn them on and off so they are always on.

My 90 gallon has a separate plug for the actinics, white lights and moonlights so on that tank I might use 3 timers and do some phasing.

Brent F
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
If you like gadgets, I found this one that alters the intensity based on the lunar cycle. I might pick one of these up once I actually have life in my tank:biggrin:

http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/moonComputer

Francis

Unless you have something that spawns based of moon phases that seems like overkill.

My preference would be to have the moonlights on late evening when the lights are out and someone might actually be in the room regardless of whether the moon is out or not. The moonlights could be off after 2 AM - 6 AM because there is rarely someone in the room at that time.

RSM
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
My Red Sea Max has a switch for the moon lights. When turned on i can only notice the moon lights when the daytime lights are turn off (obviously). Its hard to tell whether it turns on after the lights go out or on all the time, because looking under the hood i do not notice any change by flicking the switch.

untamed
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Unless you have something that spawns based of moon phases that seems like overkill.

Of course it is overkill. No reason not to do it, though!

I've also been searching for a lunar cycle controller. I think the Aquatronica will be able to do this in the near future. The fishbowlinnovations controller will only work with their lights (blue). I want to do it with white LEDs, otherwise I would have purchased that already.

dstasiuk
06-05-2008, 04:54 AM
I leave mine on all night - the room is pretty dark without them. With a big carpet Anemone, I feel better giving the fish a little light to see it and stay out of it... :idea:

RSM
06-05-2008, 10:09 PM
fair enough