PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a GFCI Powerbar/Remote Outlets

Der_Iron_Chef
06-04-2008, 03:04 PM
So, I don't want to change the outlets in my apartment (I rent and am not authorized to do so), but I want several GFCI outlets at my disposal nonetheless. I know I've seen them for sale at Canadian tire, but they're expensive and only for a single outlet.

Can anyone explain how EXACTLY one would wire a GFCI powerbar or remote outlet(s)? I'm looking at a friend's thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=932705) on RC (3/4 of the way down the page) and can't really make sense of it.

kdpuffer
06-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I read the thread and its easy to do you would need to buy a few things some you may have send me an email and I can lay it all out for you
k.d.puffer@gmail.com

Delphinus
06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
What I would do is buy an electrical box that you can fit a plug in. It can be metal or PVC. Put a GFCI outlet into this, and mount it in your stand. The "upstream" wiring will just be an extension cord that you plug into your wall plug.

If you need additional plugs, you can wire them in series (ie. one after the other) and then they will all be GFCI plugs. Or just plug in a powerbar into the GFCI plug.

I'm not sure I can explain it very well in a post but this would be super easy to do. If you want I can help you put it together.

Brent F
06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
As an aside, does anyone know how to determine which plug on a curciut is upstream of another? I'm wondering because I want to add another GFI and since they protect all downstream plugs I'd like to stick it on the first plug if possible.

I know it is usually the one closest to the panel but that doesn't help for this room.

kdpuffer
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
well that's easy but can be a pain turn off the breaker in the panel take the plugs off one at a time till you find the plug that when taken off cuts power to the rest of them it helps to use s lamp or radio for this even better is a voltage detector like you see mike holmes using on holmes on homes in which case you take them all off and then test each wire till the tool beeps at you or you can write down the panel info and go to home depot and get a gfci breaker if you want further info I am an electrician send me an email k.d.puffer@gmail.com

pjoziasse
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
As an alternative to replacing a regular outlet with a GFCI outlet (requiring you to turn the power off at the circuit breaker), you can purchase a GFCI protected power bar (I got mine from Rona) that you simply plug into a regular socket. Mine has four outlets on the power bar which are all GFCI protected. This gives you a minimum of 15 amps protected by the GFCI, assuming there is no other current draw on that circuit.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I looked for GFCI powerbars at Rona....which one did you buy, specifically?

Lance
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I looked for GFCI powerbars at Rona....which one did you buy, specifically?

I found a Noma 4-outlet GFCI powerbar at Can Tire. Can't remember the price but very reasonable. (minimum 15 amps)

pjoziasse
06-05-2008, 01:14 AM
The one I bought only has the label "Pro-Power" on it - yellow with black handles on either end, test and reset buttons, and a master power on/off switch. If I recall correctly, it was around $40.

iansfishy
06-06-2008, 01:38 AM
I spent 50 bucks and bought the Noma GFCI power bar and two really good Noma eight outlet power bars had them for a couple months and never had a problem

michika
06-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Did you buy anything yet? I think we have two GFCIs kicking around that need to go. I think they are even wired up aready. If I can find them again I'll trade you for a coffee.

midgetwaiter
06-07-2008, 08:17 AM
You need this:

http://www.budgetlighting.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=4037772.3041&p_id=4014&xm=on&product=Tower&ppinc=search2

I'll pm you if we get some in stock soon.