PDA

View Full Version : Zoos on the move

Treebeard
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
The ricordea I bought from Wicked Frags back in April are doing great, so great in fact they doubled in side and split. Just wondering if it is common for them to move around the tank on their own? On Sunday night the new colony had moved about 4 inches away from the original, and now I can't even find it!

Der_Iron_Chef
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
No, that's not normal. There's got to be something in your tank that's responsible for the move. What's in there?

littlesilvermax
06-03-2008, 02:43 PM
A colony of zoos does not move. A colony will send off floaters though.

Treebeard
06-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Now that I am awake and have had a cup of coffee, let me correct myself. It is a Ricordea that has done the split and move thing, not the Zoos!

The tank inhabitants are: a BTA, fuzzy mushroom, Goniopora, 3 small Zoo colonys, bubble coral, colt coral, a couple of brittle stars, assorted snails and crabs, etc.

I wll post some pics later.
The closest neighbors would be a couple of small mushrooms.

Chowder
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
A ricordia will move if it was not secure to rock or rubble it was on. Sometimes they will let loose if it has to much flow on it or doesn't like the light it is in. It happens periodically in my tank. I believe I have a magnificant ricordia garden behind my rocks just out of my sight.:lol:

Reefer Rob
06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Every once in a while one of my Ricordia will just let go. Hard to control them, they end up all over the tank. Most of the time they just shuffle over a couple of inches very slowly (say about a month), leaving behind a trail of new little Ricordia.