PDA

View Full Version : yellow coris wrasse

golden69_ca
03-18-2003, 04:12 AM
thinking of making him a newaddition to my 90gal tank all i have for fish right now is a green dragonet and a maroon clown also have 2 large cleaner shrimp large fan worm , emerald crab spider crab . i did a little research throught Marine fishes book and they say it is a good adition to a tank that it has a low aggressive nature . what are your thoughts or experiances.

thanx

steve-s
03-18-2003, 05:03 AM
A yellow coris wrasse is a wonderful fish. Very active, colorful and for the most part very peaceful as well. I have one in with 4 other wrasses.

The one thing you should be concerned with is the dragonette. The wrasse will quickly deplete it's food source as they will both scavanging for the same food. Pretty much any wrasse would compete for the same food, including cleaner wrasses.

If you have a refugium where pods and such can multiply uninhibited and make their way back to the main tank, then there would be less of a concern but still a risk.

Just a thought... :D

Cheers
Steve

ron101
03-18-2003, 05:07 AM
I had one in my 90 gal along with a maroon, a sailfin tang, and a small damsel. Although he ate well (was very adept at stealing Nori from the tang) and appeared healthy but he was a very nervous fish. He usually retreated when I came close and if I caught him off guard he would do a pinball act off a few sides of the tank or the light fixture and then hide for the next day or two. Probably just that fish's personality.

golden69_ca
03-18-2003, 05:13 AM
my 90 is not drilled or set up for a sump/refugium now if i set one up under my tank will the cope's and outher stuff make it past the pump?
is there a special pump that will not harm things ?

thanx

steve-s
03-18-2003, 05:19 AM
About the only practical way I see it working is with an above tank fug. That way the pods can free flow back into the main tank with less concern about a return pump killing the pods..

Mabye someone else has a better suggestion... :idea: :?:

Cheers
Steve

Quinn
03-18-2003, 01:40 PM
i think there was some discussion on this topic on one of the other boards. i think it was decided that regardless of whether the fuge is fed to the display tank by gravity or by a pump, the number of pods that would go through the line either way would be minimal and hardly worth getting flustered about. although i doubt anyone did any empirical tests to find out for sure (you can't put radio collars on pods :P )

BCOrchidGuy
03-20-2003, 02:39 AM
I found mine to be a bit more aggressive than anything else in the tank but the majority of its aggression was towards the other yellow coris wrasse. They colour up wonderful, alot of orangish green stripes through the head.

mark
03-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Got the wrasse for my 75g a few months ago. Still very timid, if I wipe the glass, put my hand in the tank etc., it hides for the rest of the day. Found it only comes up to mid tank when I feed so it's only getting what my purple tang misses, but sure likes the mysis. Is a nice looking fish though.

mark
03-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Got the wrasse for my 75g a few months ago. Still very timid, if I wipe the glass, put my hand in the tank etc., it hides for the rest of the day. Found it only comes up to mid tank when I feed so it's only getting what my purple tang misses, but sure likes the mysis. Is a nice looking fish though.

Beverly
08-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Old topic, I know, but I'm wondering if those keeping yellow coris wrasses also keep peppermint shrimp? I have a 2" ycr and would like to add some ppmt shrimp but am afraid the wrasse will eat them. Any thoughts?

TIA :smile:

Van down by the river
08-11-2003, 09:30 PM
They may be okay if the shrimp is large, but sooner or later..........

Quinn
08-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Bev, did you get rid of your hawkfish?

Beverly
08-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Bev, did you get rid of your hawkfish?

Not yet, Quinn. I'm thinking of taking down the 42 temporarily and removing the hawkfish, and now, possibly the wrasse. Dang, love that wrasse. It's such a beautiful and graceful fish. Don't have a clue what I could replace it with :sad:

BTW, I caught another red-eyed crab. I can keep it for you if you want it.

Quinn
08-12-2003, 12:50 AM
Forgot all about the crab PM. I don't think I'll be up for a while, may as well send it off to AI. If you want to get rid of the yellow wrasse though, let me know.

Beverly
08-12-2003, 02:01 AM
If you want to get rid of the yellow wrasse though, let me know.

Don't know when I'm going to tear down the tank to catch the two fish. Might be tomorrow or the next day. I don't know, could even be next week. Whatever the case is, though, I'll be wanting to get rid of them that day or the next, as I don't have another tank to temporarily house them for longer than that.

Quinn
08-12-2003, 02:14 AM
Ooo, that's a little quick. Maybe cancel that then.

Beverly
08-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Ooo, that's a little quick. Maybe cancel that then.

When do you have in mind. Could postpone it if you have a definite date.