PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about triggerfish..

bv_reefer
06-02-2008, 03:08 AM
1) why are they not considered ''reef safe''?
2) will they bother sps corals or clams?

thanks, bv

Keri
06-02-2008, 03:16 AM
1) because most will eat things like corals, inverts, smaller/slower fish, your hand...airline tubing...etc
2)see above

But there ARE some reefsafe triggers, like the blue throat I think. try googling "reefsafe trigger" :)

bv_reefer
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks, i knew theres gotta be 1 thats more or less reef-safe:mrgreen:

Interior_Reef
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
You could put a sargasum Trigger in a reef tank. They are a reef safe trigger. Expensive though...

Der_Iron_Chef
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I have no personal experience, but I've read that Bluechin Triggerfish (Xanthichthys auromarginatus) are generally considered to be reef safe-ish.

Aquattro
06-02-2008, 03:43 PM
reef safe is a relative term. If you have a small fish that the trigger can eat, one day it likely will. Most will eat the non sessile inverts (shrimps, etc), although some will be ok. You pays your money, you takes your chances when it comes to triggers.

dsaundry
06-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a Picasso{Huma,Huma} and so far he hasn't touched any of the frogspawn or torch corals, I also have somp GSP and some Zoo's and Platy's and so far he doesnt show any interest. He does like all the snails he can turn ove and pick at, he leaves the other fish alone as well. In this tank I have a pair of Gold Stripe Maroon clowns, a Blue spotted puffer, a Scribbled Rabbitfish, and a Purple tang. I will stress that this is still more of an aggressive tank and if I was to put any shrimp or small fish in there I think he would take them out. As for reef safe..like people say, you might get one that doesnt touch your corals or fish or you might get one that cleans them out...

Aquattro
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I've never heard of triggers eating corals, it's not one of their foods. I did have a niger that move them around, but they won't eat the corals. It's more a snail, shrimp and hermit issue. And bite size fishies....I tried a goby years ago with a small niger, it didn't even make it to the bottom :(

justinl
06-03-2008, 03:43 AM
There are two basic groups of triggers. First has upturned mouth for hunting plankton (water column dwellers), the second has a down-turned mouth designed to hunt the benthic zone. For whatever reason, the first group is generally more docile; they are also less likely to go beserk (see below) after time and less likely to munch inverts or smaller fish... no guarantees of course. The second group includes the well known beserkers like clown triggers; they're more likely to terrorize a tank. Strictly speaking, all trigs are coral safe as far as I've seen, but the big guys might knock over coral if it isn't secured properly. examples of the first group include bluethroats, crosshatch, nigers, pinktails, etc. examples of the second group include picasso, clown, undulated etc.

bv_reefer
06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
There are two basic groups of triggers. First has upturned mouth for hunting plankton (water column dwellers), the second has a down-turned mouth designed to hunt the benthic zone. For whatever reason, the first group is generally more docile; they are also less likely to go beserk (see below) after time and less likely to munch inverts or smaller fish... no guarantees of course. The second group includes the well known beserkers like clown triggers; they're more likely to terrorize a tank. Strictly speaking, all trigs are coral safe as far as I've seen, but the big guys might knock over coral if it isn't secured properly. examples of the first group include bluethroats, crosshatch, nigers, pinktails, etc. examples of the second group include picasso, clown, undulated etc. thanks alot guys that sums up about everything, one thing i'm worried about is my clam, i know so many fish can't resist nipping at clam mantles, anyone know how triggers are with clams and such? also can't seem to find a blue line but found a redtooth and picasso, which would probably be the the more sensible choice?

Aquattro
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
which would probably be the the more sensible choice?

Is this for your 40g tank? If so, a trigger is not a good choice. They get big.

Chaloupa
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
My bluethroats LOVED clams!

Brent F
06-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Triggers usually are not compatible with clams.

Snappy has a couple clams in with his trigger but successfully keeping them together is more the exception. The best hope of success is if the clam is in the tank before the trigger, the trigger is kept well fed and you have a big tank but , even then, be prepared to lose the clam.

Comes down to luck whether an individual trigger will kill the clams or not. Why risk it?

bv_reefer
06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
ya it is for the 40 brad, i was planning on getting a juvie. ya i can't risk having all my clams getting wiped out, that is really the only thing thats in the tank thats a problem, i have no sessile inverts, oh well, thanks again for the info:smile:

Aquattro
06-03-2008, 06:38 PM
ya it is for the 40 brad, i was planning on getting a juvie.

Triggers can grow quite quickly, and would outgrow a 40 within a year. Picasos can get to be about 10 inches, some triggers get 2 feet long!

dogboy
06-03-2008, 06:48 PM
i have no sessile inverts, oh well, thanks again for the info:smile:

Sessile means the organism is attached to the substrate and therefore cannot move around. I think coral qualify if i am not mistaken.....

And if you are saying the Picasso trigger is a good choice for you then you may have misunderstood what Justinl was saying..... they are of the "Berserker" variety ....

bv_reefer
06-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Triggers can grow quite quickly, and would outgrow a 40 within a year. Picasos can get to be about 10 inches, some triggers get 2 feet long! ya definitely not for my tank then! that with the fact that live clam is too expensive of a meal for a fish lol, i'm looking for one of those really colorful and odd looking fish, but i think i'll settle for a wrasse instead