PDA

View Full Version : gate valve shopping

sharuq1
06-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I googled gate valves and it seems there are options I of course knew nothing about, like what lubricant is in it. Can I safely use any of these on my tank? And if so which one would you recommend? (size/type/etc.) If not I know OA and JL have them, is there anywhere else that has them? I don't want to buy from the sites I listed, they are just a reference for the gazillion types there seem to be.

Also what is the point in a "thread x thread" valve that makes it more expensive than a normal one? Am I better off buying a threaded valve or just getting a non-threaded and glueing everything?

http://www.coleparmer.ca/catalog/product_index.asp?cls=26692
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=16117&product_id=16125&cookie%5Ftest=1

Skimmerking
06-02-2008, 02:56 AM
what is the gate valve for? I would get the true union gate valve so if you need to it apart for cleaning you have that opition. but they can get expensive thou around 30-40 dollars.

i like using the second one thou that you have there

sharuq1
06-02-2008, 02:58 AM
It is for my plumbing to the sump. Not sure where it's going, but somewhere logical :lol::redface:

i like using the second one thou that you have there
er...which one is that? :redface:

Myka
06-02-2008, 03:17 AM
I got a Spears gate valve from Bulk Reef Supply. They have very good prices. :)

kwirky
06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I second the speares gate valves. Very good product. SO much smoother to turn compared to those home depot things. I get 'em from the wholesaler my mom works at (sorry they don't deal with the public and I don't know which companies u can go to for the stuff).

there are even speares gate valves with the unions built in on each end making changes to your plumbing even easier (great for the first few tanks one builds for the inevitable changes)

michika
06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Emco in town here sells them and other assorted plumbing parts. I think everything they sell is sch. 80 instead of the sch 40 you can get at Rona or Home Depot.